Yeah, yeah, I'm the Mustang guy... but elitist, too?

Old August 21st 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default Yeah, yeah, I'm the Mustang guy... but elitist, too?

I don't know about you-all, but I'm the "Mustang guy" at work. Famous for my
twin '93s, of course, and no one else there has anything like a Mustang.
(There was a guy with a Mazda RX8, but he didn't last long.)

So, naturally, when a new hire was talking about looking at cars -
specifically Mustangs, a friend asked if I had a few minutes to talk cars
with him. (I always have time to talk about cars.)

Apparently, by the time I met the guy, he was leaning more toward the
Camaro - he liked the look better. I mentioned that it was a little too
Transformers for my taste, and his expression told me that's exactly why he
was leaning in that direction. Eh. Nothing wrong with a Camaro, if you're
not going to buy a Mustang, I say.

Then I find that he's looking at the six, not the eight. AND, more than
likely, a manual transmission is not on his wish list.

At that point, I immediately lost interest.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and - don't get me wrong - I'd probably
be thrilled to have the new six coupe with only one option (the performance
package), BUT, in my opinion, if this guy is looking at a Camaro six with
automatic, then what difference does it make WHAT car he buys? Might as well
buy a Camry or an Accord or a Kia or Hyundai. When you get away from the V8
models, what's the difference? At that point, the Mustang and Camaro go from
COOL to just cool.

Am I a V8 elitist?

dwight

Old August 21st 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
4DHJ/M ...

"dwight" > wrote in message
>I don't know about you-all, but I'm the "Mustang guy" at work. Famous for
>my twin '93s, of course, and no one else there has anything like a Mustang.
>(There was a guy with a Mazda RX8, but he didn't last long.)
>
> So, naturally, when a new hire was talking about looking at cars -
> specifically Mustangs, a friend asked if I had a few minutes to talk cars
> with him. (I always have time to talk about cars.)
>
> Apparently, by the time I met the guy, he was leaning more toward the
> Camaro - he liked the look better. I mentioned that it was a little too
> Transformers for my taste, and his expression told me that's exactly why
> he was leaning in that direction. Eh. Nothing wrong with a Camaro, if
> you're not going to buy a Mustang, I say.
>
> Then I find that he's looking at the six, not the eight. AND, more than
> likely, a manual transmission is not on his wish list.
>
> At that point, I immediately lost interest.
>
> I'm going to go out on a limb here, and - don't get me wrong - I'd
> probably be thrilled to have the new six coupe with only one option (the
> performance package), BUT, in my opinion, if this guy is looking at a
> Camaro six with automatic, then what difference does it make WHAT car he
> buys? Might as well buy a Camry or an Accord or a Kia or Hyundai. When you
> get away from the V8 models, what's the difference? At that point, the
> Mustang and Camaro go from COOL to just cool.
>
> Am I a V8 elitist?
>
> dwight

as they say here in the UK left is right eight is great........but we can't
afford the petrol....that is why I have a '92 convertible cyl .......

Old August 21st 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 20, 6:48*pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> I don't know about you-all, but I'm the "Mustang guy" at work. Famous for my
> twin '93s, of course, and no one else there has anything like a Mustang.
> (There was a guy with a Mazda RX8, but he didn't last long.)

The RX8, NOT one of my favorites. Awkward styling (I'm being nice)
torque-less and thirsty motor, something, IMO, things that can't be
made up with impressive handling and dynamics.

> So, naturally, when a new hire was talking about looking at cars -
> specifically Mustangs, a friend asked if I had a few minutes to talk cars
> with him. (I always have time to talk about cars.)

Cars (and for me boxing)... are things I'd even be happy to discuss
with my dog. ;-)

> Apparently, by the time I met the guy, he was leaning more toward the
> Camaro - he liked the look better. I mentioned that it was a little too
> Transformers for my taste, and his expression told me that's exactly why he
> was leaning in that direction. Eh. Nothing wrong with a Camaro, if you're
> not going to buy a Mustang, I say.

I agree. The Camaro is a nice car -- I love the looks and
performance. I just can't stand the view from the front seat.

> Then I find that he's looking at the six, not the eight. AND, more than
> likely, a manual transmission is not on his wish list.

> At that point, I immediately lost interest.

> I'm going to go out on a limb here, and - don't get me wrong - I'd probably
> be thrilled to have the new six coupe with only one option (the performance
> package), BUT, in my opinion, if this guy is looking at a Camaro six with
> automatic, then what difference does it make WHAT car he buys? Might as well
> buy a Camry or an Accord or a Kia or Hyundai.

Okay, take a good look at a Camry, Accord, Kia or Hyundai, then look
at a new Camaro. Which would you rather see displayed more in our
automotive landscape?

>When you get away from the V8
> models, what's the difference? At that point, the Mustang and Camaro go from
> COOL to just cool.

A couple years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed, but not since
the little 6s started sporting more than 300HP and able to bang out 13-
second time slips at over 100 mph -- hell, numbers our beloved 5-
liters and most all the heavy hitters from the 1960's couldn't
muster.

> Am I a V8 elitist?

No, I just think you hooked on the primal, guttural sounds a V8
makes... nothing wrong with that.

Patrick
Old August 21st 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:48:52 -0400, "dwight" >
wrote:

>I don't know about you-all, but I'm the "Mustang guy" at work. Famous for my
>twin '93s, of course, and no one else there has anything like a Mustang.
>(There was a guy with a Mazda RX8, but he didn't last long.)
>
>So, naturally, when a new hire was talking about looking at cars -
>specifically Mustangs, a friend asked if I had a few minutes to talk cars
>with him. (I always have time to talk about cars.)
>
>Apparently, by the time I met the guy, he was leaning more toward the
>Camaro - he liked the look better. I mentioned that it was a little too
>Transformers for my taste, and his expression told me that's exactly why he
>was leaning in that direction. Eh. Nothing wrong with a Camaro, if you're
>not going to buy a Mustang, I say.
>
>Then I find that he's looking at the six, not the eight. AND, more than
>likely, a manual transmission is not on his wish list.
>
>At that point, I immediately lost interest.
>
>I'm going to go out on a limb here, and - don't get me wrong - I'd probably
>be thrilled to have the new six coupe with only one option (the performance
>package), BUT, in my opinion, if this guy is looking at a Camaro six with
>automatic, then what difference does it make WHAT car he buys? Might as well
>buy a Camry or an Accord or a Kia or Hyundai. When you get away from the V8
>models, what's the difference? At that point, the Mustang and Camaro go from
>COOL to just cool.
>
>Am I a V8 elitist?
>
>dwight

Naw. Yer just a spinal compression junkie. You know. That great
feeling you get when you hit the gas and get squished back in your
seat like an astronaut.....
Old August 22nd 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 21, 7:01*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2011-08-21, > wrote:
>
> > On Aug 20, 6:48*pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> >>When you get away from the V8
> >> models, what's the difference? At that point, the Mustang and Camaro go from
> >> COOL to just cool.

> > A couple years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed, but not since
> > the little 6s started sporting more than 300HP and able to bang out 13-
> > second time slips at over 100 mph -- hell, numbers our beloved 5-
> > liters and most all the heavy hitters from the 1960's couldn't
> > muster.

> It's a V6 though. V6's just aren't natural. It's a forced arrangment for
> packaging, it's not a naturally balanced or well working configuration.
> It has to be made so. It's a compromise by its very nature.
>
> If ford had a 300hp I6 mustang with all the chassis goodies and brakes of
> a well optioned V8 then I think it would sound and feel right.

See the "Mayhem" package.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509840

> In the
> US I6's were choked off and disregarded but in other parts of the world
> they were allowed to sing.

I think the Nissan GTR's 530HP V6 would disagree.

Patrick
Old August 22nd 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-22, > wrote:
> On Aug 21, 7:01*pm, Brent > wrote:

>> > A couple years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed, but not since
>> > the little 6s started sporting more than 300HP and able to bang out 13-
>> > second time slips at over 100 mph -- hell, numbers our beloved 5-
>> > liters and most all the heavy hitters from the 1960's couldn't
>> > muster.

>> It's a V6 though. V6's just aren't natural. It's a forced arrangment for
>> packaging, it's not a naturally balanced or well working configuration.
>> It has to be made so. It's a compromise by its very nature.
>>
>> If ford had a 300hp I6 mustang with all the chassis goodies and brakes of
>> a well optioned V8 then I think it would sound and feel right.

> See the "Mayhem" package.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509840

It's still a V6.

>> In the
>> US I6's were choked off and disregarded but in other parts of the world
>> they were allowed to sing.

> I think the Nissan GTR's 530HP V6 would disagree.

A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

"Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

Old August 22nd 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 21, 9:20 pm, Brent > wrote:

> >> It's a V6 though. V6's just aren't natural. It's a forced arrangment for
> >> packaging, it's not a naturally balanced or well working configuration.
> >> It has to be made so. It's a compromise by its very nature.

> >> If ford had a 300hp I6 mustang with all the chassis goodies and brakes of
> >> a well optioned V8 then I think it would sound and feel right.

> > See the "Mayhem" package.
> >http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509840

> It's still a V6.
>
> >> In the
> >> US I6's were choked off and disregarded but in other parts of the world
> >> they were allowed to sing.

> > I think the Nissan GTR's 530HP V6 would disagree.

> A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine
>
> "Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
> inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

I understand the V and I balance thing. But my point is this: if you
own a new V6 Mustang you no longer have to hang your head when talking
with V8 Mustang owners because everyone realizes the new V6 Mustang
performs. Much the same way new Mustang GT owners no longer have to
hang their head when talking with owners of IRS-equipped sports/sporty
cars [because everyone knows the Mustang's solid axle performs].

Patrick

Old August 22nd 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-08-22, > wrote:

>> > See the "Mayhem" package.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509840

>> It's still a V6.

>> > I think the Nissan GTR's 530HP V6 would disagree.

>> A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

>> "Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
>> inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

> I understand the V and I balance thing. But my point is this: if you
> own a new V6 Mustang you no longer have to hang your head when talking
> with V8 Mustang owners because everyone realizes the new V6 Mustang
> performs. Much the same way new Mustang GT owners no longer have to
> hang their head when talking with owners of IRS-equipped sports/sporty
> cars [because everyone knows the Mustang's solid axle performs].

I wasn't arguing that. It's an argument of feel/sound/etc, not hp or
performance numbers.

Old August 22nd 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gill

On 08/22/2011 08:33 AM, Brent wrote:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509840

>>> It's still a V6.

>>> A V6 is still not a natural arrangement for a four stroke engine.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

>>> "Due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank, V6 designs are
>>> inherently unbalanced, regardless of their V-angle."

>> I understand the V and I balance thing. But my point is this: if you
>> own a new V6 Mustang you no longer have to hang your head when talking
>> with V8 Mustang owners because everyone realizes the new V6 Mustang
>> performs. Much the same way new Mustang GT owners no longer have to
>> hang their head when talking with owners of IRS-equipped sports/sporty
>> cars [because everyone knows the Mustang's solid axle performs].

> I wasn't arguing that. It's an argument of feel/sound/etc, not hp or
> performance numbers.

Yeah, I did some searching for some new sound clips and although the
numbers are impressive, there's still an annoying sound coming from the
11/12 v6. You just don't get it from the old I6's. They're just too long
though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQA_n...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2ZU...eature=related

Yeah, but... XS11E[_1_] Mazda 2 August 8th 09 06:42 PM
Yeah right - Are we supposed to believe this? laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 12 November 18th 05 05:23 PM
Fresh pearl white, oh yeah. Chip VW air cooled 2 August 22nd 05 10:39 AM
Oh yeah...You have to see this video 2.3Sleeper Ford Mustang 1 April 2nd 05 02:50 AM