converting from swing axle to IRS

Old May 20th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Sam Waller

Default converting from swing axle to IRS

I have a rail buggy and am thinking about replacing the swing axle transmission with a later model
irs one. I see that they sell 'clips' to weld to the rear torsion bar housing for this conversion,
but I can't find any further information. The swing axle that I have is from a 1966 Ghia.

If I weld these clips on will the swing arms for a irs then just bolt to the existing spring plate?
Also will the mounting points for the newer transmission line up to the ones of the old
transmission?

thanks,
Sam
Old May 20th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Sam Waller wrote:
> I have a rail buggy and am thinking about replacing the swing axle transmission with a later model
> irs one. I see that they sell 'clips' to weld to the rear torsion bar housing for this conversion,
> but I can't find any further information. The swing axle that I have is from a 1966 Ghia.

You need a jig to hold the pieces in correct position for welding. You
can make your own (if you have a super beetle to build the jig on) or
maybe buy or borrow one.

> If I weld these clips on will the swing arms for a irs then just bolt to the existing spring plate?

This part escapes me, I can't remember how it mounts there.

> Also will the mounting points for the newer transmission line up to the ones of the old
> transmission?

The nose cones may be different, they changed at some point but I can't
remember the year. Different mount.
You can easily swap nosecones though, use your old one from the swing
axle tranny.
Old May 21st 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
nachche

On May 20, 2:27 pm, Sam Waller > wrote:
> I have a rail buggy and am thinking about replacing the swing axle transmission with a later model
> irs one. I see that they sell 'clips' to weld to the rear torsion bar housing for this conversion,
> but I can't find any further information. The swing axle that I have is from a 1966 Ghia.
>
> If I weld these clips on will the swing arms for a irs then just bolt to the existing spring plate?
> Also will the mounting points for the newer transmission line up to the ones of the old
> transmission?
>
> thanks,
> Sam

i can give you a link to a site with lots of pix of that conversion.
but its in hebrew... maybe just the pix will do
http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/ma...msgid=98580052
browse the thread...

good luck

nachche