95 Jetta III with oil in the intake hose

Old October 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
gd

Default 95 Jetta III with oil in the intake hose

Well, the subject says it all. I pulled off the hose to get to the air
filter and noticed there was quite a lot of oil in the hose leading to the
engine. Any one see this before?

Old October 25th 04, 02:38 AM
gd

Enough to puddle in the corragations of the hose and run all the way down to
the filter. We aren't talking about a misting here. If I had to guess, I
would say a few ounces in the entire hose. I didn't have time to pull the
plugs, but it is enough oil to expect them to be fouled.

Old October 25th 04, 07:12 PM
William Maslin

In article <kOYed.300928$MQ5.236509@attbi_s52>,
"gd" > wrote:

> Enough to puddle in the corragations of the hose and run all the way down to
> the filter. We aren't talking about a misting here. If I had to guess, I
> would say a few ounces in the entire hose. I didn't have time to pull the
> plugs, but it is enough oil to expect them to be fouled.
> "dave" > wrote in message
> > >From: "gd"
> >>
> >>Well, the subject says it all. I pulled off the hose to get to the air
> >>filter and noticed there was quite a lot of oil in the hose leading to the
> >>engine. Any one see this before?

Pretty typical of VW engines and not necessarily due to a worn out
engine. From what I understand, the PCV valve (or whatever they call
it) in the 1993-1998 ABA engine conks out fairly easily and shoots a lot
more oil into the intake than normal. This happened to my car, a 95
Golf. The little flapper valve inside had broken off. The PCV valve is
that mushroom-looking device attached to the valve cover that connects
to the short hose associated with the intake duct. If it was something
you were buying at Wal Mart to fit on your gas grill the valve would be
$5. Unfortunately, VW wants about $50 for it.

After you replace that and clean out the duct, it might be worth
removing the MAF sensor housing and then squirting the MAF sensor and
housing with a zero residue electronics cleaner to wash the oil residue
off of it.

I got the cleaner from AutoZone...it was called CRC Electronics
Cleaner...for about $6. It was on the shelf with all the throttle body
cleaners, etc. Squirt from about a foot away and use plenty. The MAF
sensor is extremely delicate and can be ruined by even touching it. And
whatever you do, don't drop it (about $300 to replace).

Bill
78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old October 26th 04, 04:24 AM
blah

I've seen it it b4. I forget how much i had, but i was tearing the motor
apart to replace the valve stem seals (put too much oil in it whoops)

--
Hatch
http://www.ifeellikebitching.com

Old October 27th 04, 03:51 AM
Mark Randol

In article >,
> I was looking at thepartsbin.com where I bought my PCV valve and it's no
> longer available ("call for info"). However, they now also list a "PCV
> valve diaphram" for about $38:
>
> http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...r=1995&make=VW
> &model=GOL-GL-001&category=All&part=PCV+Valve+Diaphram
>
> Is that the redesign you are referring to?

Nope. That lives behind the intake manifold. I'm talking about the
"breather filter". What I called the oil/air separator.

<http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the....jsp?year=1995
&make=VW&model=GOL-GL-001&category=All&part=Breather+Filter>

Even when the PCV was working, you'd get oil in the intake hose through
this thing. The redesign supposedly tried to address that. I can't
tell that it did.

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS
Old October 27th 04, 06:59 PM
William Maslin

In article >,
Mark Randol > wrote:

> In article >,
> > I was looking at thepartsbin.com where I bought my PCV valve and it's no
> > longer available ("call for info"). However, they now also list a "PCV
> > valve diaphram" for about $38:
> >
> > http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...r=1995&make=VW
> > &model=GOL-GL-001&category=All&part=PCV+Valve+Diaphram
> >
> > Is that the redesign you are referring to?

> Nope. That lives behind the intake manifold. I'm talking about the
> "breather filter". What I called the oil/air separator.

OK, that's the "muffler" for the EGR vale, I think. It has foam in it.

> <http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the....jsp?year=1995
> &make=VW&model=GOL-GL-001&category=All&part=Breather+Filter>
>
> Even when the PCV was working, you'd get oil in the intake hose through
> this thing. The redesign supposedly tried to address that. I can't
> tell that it did.

Yeah, OK, that's the "mushroom." That's what I bought (I think).

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email

HELP PLS: '84 5000 hydraulic hose BG Audi 2 December 5th 04 08:42 PM
GTI Hose Replacement Kent VW water cooled 5 October 23rd 04 04:28 AM
A/C Hose for 89 Colt Yours Truly Dodge 6 August 4th 04 04:45 AM
Rochester 4gc accelerator pump intake Todd Antique cars 0 May 25th 04 04:21 PM