Sim Racing FOV

Old March 15th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Sim Racing FOV

I've come to the conclusion that the optimum field of view (FOV)
setting in a simulator of any type is one that corresponds to the same
FOV you have in real life. For instance, when you are driving a
racing simulator, it's best if the view of the car dash, mirrors,
etc., fills up the same space as it does in real life.

I've started doing this as much as possible. TH2Go setups make it
possible to use low FOV settings compared to conventional single CRT
displays. For me, it makes it easier to drive because the details of
the track are larger than they would be with wider FOV's.

Assuming a wide-angle display system like a TH2Go or large format LCD,
are there any reasons to stick with higher FOV settings? I can't see
any, but apparently some people don't mind the shrunk-down appearance
of the car and track that wider FOV's create.

What sort of FOV settings does everyone here use? What sort of
display system? Have you experimented much with changing the FOV
settings?

Pat Dotson

Old March 16th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I'm using a 26" widescreen LCD with a fresnel lens in front.- Hide quoted text -

Cool! I was using a Fresnel lens with a 19" monitor prior to getting
TH2Go. I really likes the lens, but haven't felt like messing with
them on the triple head setup.

How large of a lens did you get? Are you using the 3Dlens?

Pat Dotson

Old March 16th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
John Smith[_1_]

"Albert Ross" > wrote in message
>> I've come to the conclusion that the optimum field of view (FOV)
>> setting in a simulator of any type is one that corresponds to the same
>> FOV you have in real life. For instance, when you are driving a
>> racing simulator, it's best if the view of the car dash, mirrors,
>> etc., fills up the same space as it does in real life.
>>
>> I've started doing this as much as possible. TH2Go setups make it
>> possible to use low FOV settings compared to conventional single CRT
>> displays. For me, it makes it easier to drive because the details of
>> the track are larger than they would be with wider FOV's.
>>
>> Assuming a wide-angle display system like a TH2Go or large format LCD,
>> are there any reasons to stick with higher FOV settings? I can't see
>> any, but apparently some people don't mind the shrunk-down appearance
>> of the car and track that wider FOV's create.
>>
>> What sort of FOV settings does everyone here use? What sort of
>> display system? Have you experimented much with changing the FOV
>> settings?
>>
>> Pat Dotson
>>

> I'm using a 26" widescreen LCD with a fresnel lens in front.

Never heard of a 26", you sure it's not a 24"? Or is it a TV/Monitor?

Old March 16th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Albert Ross

John Smith wrote:
> "Albert Ross" > wrote in message

>>>I've come to the conclusion that the optimum field of view (FOV)
>>>setting in a simulator of any type is one that corresponds to the same
>>>FOV you have in real life. For instance, when you are driving a
>>>racing simulator, it's best if the view of the car dash, mirrors,
>>>etc., fills up the same space as it does in real life.
>>>
>>>I've started doing this as much as possible. TH2Go setups make it
>>>possible to use low FOV settings compared to conventional single CRT
>>>displays. For me, it makes it easier to drive because the details of
>>>the track are larger than they would be with wider FOV's.
>>>
>>>Assuming a wide-angle display system like a TH2Go or large format LCD,
>>>are there any reasons to stick with higher FOV settings? I can't see
>>>any, but apparently some people don't mind the shrunk-down appearance
>>>of the car and track that wider FOV's create.
>>>
>>>What sort of FOV settings does everyone here use? What sort of
>>>display system? Have you experimented much with changing the FOV
>>>settings?
>>>
>>>Pat Dotson
>>>

>>I'm using a 26" widescreen LCD with a fresnel lens in front.

> Never heard of a 26", you sure it's not a 24"? Or is it a TV/Monitor?

It's a TV/monitor made by acer.
Old March 18th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Man! Those pictures look awesome I"m going to have to break down
and get some lenses set up with my TH2Go.

Pat Dotson