Do spark plug wires really need to be changed at 60,000 miles?

Old January 5th 05, 02:06 AM
Keith E. Loyd

Another line of reasoning htat has not been addressed yet - I remember being
told (by people trying to sell me stuff) that you have slightly more
efficient combustion from regular wire changes. Is it reasonable to expect
increased fuel economy exceeding the cost of the wires?

For the next year I am driving diesel, so this is all theoretical to me but
that will change soon.

regards,
KL

Old January 5th 05, 06:02 AM
SoCalMike

Keith E. Loyd wrote:
> Another line of reasoning htat has not been addressed yet - I remember being
> told (by people trying to sell me stuff) that you have slightly more
> efficient combustion from regular wire changes. Is it reasonable to expect
> increased fuel economy exceeding the cost of the wires?

no. hell no. either the spark gets through the wires and makes the gas
go boom, or it doesnt.

Old January 5th 05, 06:42 AM
jim beam

SoCalMike wrote:
> Keith E. Loyd wrote:
>
>> Another line of reasoning htat has not been addressed yet - I remember
>> being told (by people trying to sell me stuff) that you have slightly
>> more efficient combustion from regular wire changes. Is it reasonable
>> to expect increased fuel economy exceeding the cost of the wires?

> no. hell no. either the spark gets through the wires and makes the gas
> go boom, or it doesnt.

kinda. modern electronic ignition covers a multitude of sins, but in
the old days, good quality spark plug leads /definitely/ made for better
performance.

Old January 6th 05, 09:19 PM

"TeGGer" > wrote:

> Well, old wires increase the possibility of a *weak* spark. In wet weather,
> that weak spark may look OK when you hold the HT lead near the block and
> watch the spark jump, but it may not be strong enough to start the car.

You might also see some leakage. Open the hood in some nice dark location.
On my 88 Dodge that was running poorly at the time, it looked like a blue
light show. There was a spiderweb aura alongside each wire, as well as
some obvious crossover dancing.

--
---

Old January 7th 05, 01:33 AM
SoCalMike

TeGGer® wrote:
> Replacing the wires early may mean a few extra bucks spent early, but at
> least it increases your chance of being able to start the car without
> problems. And I like dependability more than I like squeezing the poop out
> of each penny.

which would mean OEM, right? or are aftermarket sets ok?
Old January 7th 05, 06:08 AM

> Well, old wires increase the possibility of a *weak* spark. In wet
weather,
> that weak spark may look OK when you hold the HT lead near the block

and
> watch the spark jump, but it may not be strong enough to start the

car.

Not a technique to use on modern electronic ignitions. The longer the
spark, the higher the volts the system needs to generate to bridge the
gap. At some point, the circuit may blow out and that would be
expensive.

JM

Old January 10th 05, 12:38 PM
Abeness

TeGGer® wrote:
> During short-term testing, the few seconds you're forcing the spark to jump
> an unusual gap will not harm anything.
>
> If you did this for several minutes, then there might be a problem.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.