02 TDI Idle speed

Old October 24th 04, 06:01 PM
michael

Default 02 TDI Idle speed

what do your 02 Jetta TDI;s (5spd) idle at when warm?

mine is idling at roughly 950 rpm.. and it seems a bit high..

am i being paranoid?

Mike

Old October 24th 04, 06:55 PM

michael wrote:

> what do your 02 Jetta TDI;s (5spd) idle at when warm?
>
> mine is idling at roughly 950 rpm.. and it seems a bit high..
>
> am i being paranoid?
>
> Mike

That's about what my '04 idles at, if the tach is correct. I suspect
that is normal idle speed.
Old October 24th 04, 09:31 PM
Jo Bo

Get a VAG-COM setup and you can adjust it and other things.

JoBo

Old October 24th 04, 11:04 PM
Joseph Meehan

Jo Bo wrote:
> Get a VAG-COM setup and you can adjust it and other things.
>
> JoBo
>
> "michael" > wrote in message
>> what do your 02 Jetta TDI;s (5spd) idle at when warm?
>>
>> mine is idling at roughly 950 rpm.. and it seems a bit high..
>>
>> am i being paranoid?
>>
>> Mike

I went to check what the manual said and I could not find the specs for
idle. I went out to my garage and checked to see where mine (02 NB TDI)
idled and it was real close to 950.

Why do you think there may be a problem?

I might suggest that, in general, I believe that most automotive diesels
will idle a little faster than most truck diesels or older (like 60-70's)
automotive diesels.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 24th 04, 11:13 PM
Woodchuck

It's a 4cylinder diesel and it's normal.

Old October 25th 04, 11:54 PM
michael

thanks to all

i guess i was paranoid comparing that to my BMW that idled at a whopping
500rpm when warm....

cheers

Mike

Old October 26th 04, 10:07 AM
Derek Wealleans

I also have a non-turbo 1890cc Golf diesel, and it idles at 903 revs That
is normal says dealer, neither more nor less. He said that they are all
dead accurate when hooked up to the dealers big computer.

I don't like it so high, for I tow caravans and m'cycle trailers and would
be very happy with about 800 rev/min. Would VAG-COM help? How do I get it?

I suspect that the engine man sys would not like it. The Bosch Manual with
the electronic controls for the diesel squirt, sets the fuel injection at
zero when on over-run atmore than 1100 revs so engine braking on long
descents is OK. Still I would love 800 revs.

--
Derek Wealleans

Remember:- remove the anti spam

Old October 28th 04, 12:18 AM
Jo Bo

www.ross-tech.com makes and markets the product. It's a adapter that hooks
to a pc's, laptop prefered, USB port and to your car's ODBII connector and a
special program. It's as good and possibly better then the dealer's setup.
Problem is the newer cars VW's have a security thing that requires a
special number that's only good for that day or something like that. But
once you get a dealer to get you a number the vag-com will continually use
that number. As far as setting the idel to 800, the computer has limits and
will not let you go past them. When I messed with mine as I recall it was
something like 50 rpm more or less. Try www.tdiclub.com for lots of good
info.

JoBo
"Derek Wealleans" > wrote in message
> I also have a non-turbo 1890cc Golf diesel, and it idles at 903 revs That
> is normal says dealer, neither more nor less. He said that they are all
> dead accurate when hooked up to the dealers big computer.
>
> I don't like it so high, for I tow caravans and m'cycle trailers and would
> be very happy with about 800 rev/min. Would VAG-COM help? How do I get

it?

> I suspect that the engine man sys would not like it. The Bosch Manual

with
> the electronic controls for the diesel squirt, sets the fuel injection at
> zero when on over-run atmore than 1100 revs so engine braking on long
> descents is OK. Still I would love 800 revs.
>
> --
> Derek Wealleans
>
> Remember:- remove the anti spam

need help with idle speed motor jzz30 Dodge 0 September 23rd 04 06:01 AM
high idle speed revisited jdoe Saturn 0 August 20th 04 03:25 PM
idle speed control motor temptress2972 Dodge 4 July 21st 04 04:23 AM