beep when key in ignition and driver's door open

Old December 9th 04, 10:59 PM
disallow

I have my radio hooked up to constant power. Its
and aftermarket with removeable face, and I did this in
order to keep from forgetting to remove the faceplate.

But it also will play without a key in the ignition.

Old December 10th 04, 11:46 PM
MAT

Yeah turn your ignition to ON, no beep and you can run fan and windows, duh.
Disadvantage, dummy lights on dash, and reverse light burns if parked in R.

Old December 13th 04, 04:16 PM
Abeness

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I don't like to leave the
ignition in the on position because I don't like keeping the fuel pump
and engine systems powered on or the dash lights burning--OR allow the
fan to run in case I forget to turn it off and burn up the battery quickly.

A block of wood is an interesting idea, but I have no idea how that
J-hook suggestion would do it as described.

I'll have to give this some more thought. Block seems easiest.
Old December 14th 04, 04:58 AM
Burt Squareman

"Abeness" > wrote in message ...
> Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I don't like to leave the
> ignition in the on position because I don't like keeping the fuel pump
> and engine systems powered on or the dash lights burning--OR allow the
> fan to run in case I forget to turn it off and burn up the battery quickly.
> A block of wood is an interesting idea, but I have no idea how that
> J-hook suggestion would do it as described.
> I'll have to give this some more thought. Block seems easiest.

Also keep thieves from stealing the car. The block of wood is an idea
but tends to get smash to pieces. But, it's a simple, single part. The "J"
hook I pointed out works only for the L type switch. What ever
type of switch, what you want is to be able to reuse the wood,
flexible plastic or whatever object you can find to jam in the switch
to keep it latch. Tie that to a string so that if the switch is pushed in
any slightly the object will fall off to be reuse again.

The other method is to unplug or unscrew the 2-pin connector on
the ignition cylinder. Then attach a spare key to a magnet. Hide
the magnet/key inside the steel fender if you don't want to lock
yourself out. ((The key has to be filed off a tumbler or so near the
handle for the car can't be started but able to open the door. (The
ignition has, say, eight tumblers but door has five-six.))

Old December 15th 04, 08:13 PM
Abeness

Burt Squareman wrote:
> The block of wood is an idea
> but tends to get smash to pieces. But, it's a simple, single part. The "J"
> hook I pointed out works only for the L type switch.

I had to look at the switch to respond--for the 94 Civic configuration,
neither a block nor a J-hook would work, as the button is at the bottom
corner closest to the latch, not in the hinge, where a block would be
perfect. But, it looks like a large clip would do the trick--e.g. a
jumper-cable-sized clip. I'll continue to mull it over--this isn't a
terribly urgent issue now that it's getting below 35 around here... ;-)

> Then attach a spare key to a magnet. Hide
> the magnet/key inside the steel fender if you don't want to lock
> yourself out. ((The key has to be filed off a tumbler or so near the
> handle for the car can't be started but able to open the door. (The
> ignition has, say, eight tumblers but door has five-six.))

An interesting idea, though inadvisable here in New York City. Even if I
were to file off the appropriate portions, I don't really want to give
anyone ideas.

Anyway, do you have a reference (preferably with pix) to exactly which
portions of the key should be filed to disable ignition without
disabling the door lock?