From the grave: A question on an 'ol TM wheel...

Old March 12th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default From the grave: A question on an 'ol TM wheel...

Well, I haven't touched a sim racing game since NR4 came out. Yeah.
NR4. But I loved me some racing games many years ago, and pulled out
my TM Nascar Digital Pro to see if it worked. Of course, as I had been
somewhat warned by posts from 3-5 years ago, XP support is not too
keen with their less than fantastic products. Interestingly, I
couldn't get the wheel to actively work. Brakes and gas, yes. Left to
right? No.

Any ideas on troubleshooting before I got buy a wheel on EBay and
reload GPL? I'd buy a TSW, but $350 is a bit rich for my blood at the
moment, especially since I've devoted so little time over the last 5
years to the hobby.

Old March 12th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

I cant claim to know exactly, but if memory serves me correctly, you Could
attmpt to setup the control panel in XP to see a generic input device (2
axes joystic) then see if the axes show up, most likely you will end up with
combined brake and throttle wich sucks.

But, there might been newer "XP" compatable "game port" drivers. I gave up
on TM many moos before XP was released. IMHO your best bet for a wheel
upgrrade that is USB connected. Cheaply, a lot of friends are getting good
use from the logitech DFP (digital force feedback pro?) it has like more
than (shoot I cannto recall more than 360 dgrees of movement of the wheel.
I personally bought me a logitech G25 (they are about $250 now) last week
and LOVE that dang thing, but I have understanding that the driver for Vista
is not out for it yet and the current driver is not fully functional
(profiles and settings not yet), so I have held off on installing vista
right now.

good luck. PS helps in most "Games" {as apposed to SIMS} to have the
joystic seen as ID 1 (sometimes depending on drivers entails disconnection
of all other joystick, some drivers though, will let you set each joystick
seperately).

good luck.

enlightened us with:

Old March 13th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Mar 12, 5:17 pm, "Plowboy" > wrote:
> I cant claim to know exactly, but if memory serves me correctly, you Could
> attmpt to setup the control panel in XP to see a generic input device (2
> axes joystic) then see if the axes show up, most likely you will end up with
> combined brake and throttle wich sucks.

Ah, tried that. I think that's how I had it working the last time when
I had a W2000 machine long ago. However, XP, in all its brillant
glory, doesn't allow you to set up a controller independently with
more than 4 buttons. The wheel has 8. The sad part is that if I had my
ancient and crusty T2, I would probably be able to play right now, as
I have a preset for that. Installing the drivers accomplished
absolutely nothing, and their instructions in the read me and on their
website (entirely different, BTW) don't work. I don't feel like
reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch, because I have a
feeling that's not the problem. I do wish I had another computer
around to test with, but I'm without such.

> But, there might been newer "XP" compatable "game port" drivers. I gave up
> on TM many moos before XP was released. IMHO your best bet for a wheel
> upgrrade that is USB connected. Cheaply, a lot of friends are getting good
> use from the logitech DFP (digital force feedback pro?) it has like more
> than (shoot I cannto recall more than 360 dgrees of movement of the wheel.
> I personally bought me a logitech G25 (they are about $250 now) last week
> and LOVE that dang thing, but I have understanding that the driver for Vista
> is not out for it yet and the current driver is not fully functional
> (profiles and settings not yet), so I have held off on installing vista
> right now.

I'm gonna be running XP for awhile until I feel comfortable with Vista
having the bugs worked out and when I go buy a new computer for
myself. No rush.

> good luck. PS helps in most "Games" {as apposed to SIMS} to have the
> joystic seen as ID 1 (sometimes depending on drivers entails disconnection
> of all other joystick, some drivers though, will let you set each joystick
> seperately).

That was another idea of mine. I tried hooking up the wheel without
the pedals to see if I could trick the computer into only seeing that
axis. No luck.

Ah well. Ebay it is, at least just to get something to start
with....thanks a bunch though.

Question: Regarding wheel offset and WTB: 1995 Jetta III steel wheel Timothy J. Richter VW water cooled 4 March 10th 07 03:51 PM
wheel question Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 4 June 8th 06 03:38 AM
NC wheel question Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 1 June 7th 06 06:01 AM
Bearing Races Question and Wheel Bearing Pack Question Kevin Holzer VW air cooled 3 June 11th 05 05:51 AM
Steering Wheel Question Birdlander VW air cooled 4 May 1st 05 08:08 AM