Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 29th 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Problem with door lock in my 2004 Honda Accord (tumblers?)

On 05/27/2012 05:13 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:21:53 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
>>
>> You appear to be in MN. What's the coldest it gets for you in the
>> winter?
>>
>> Call a locksmith. They have special oils that are meant for this
>> purpose.
>>
>> If you can't locate a locksmith, go to a hardware store, gun shop,
>> or sewing machine shop, and get a small container of the very
>> lightest, thinnest oil they have. If it's aerosol, the better for
>> you.
>>
>> Spray or inject this light oil into the lock. Do not skimp. If not
>> an aerosol, drench the lock in the oil and work the key in and out
>> of the lock a few times to drive the oil deep into the lock.
>>
>> Also, use a NEW key, and not a new one made from the old one; worn
>> keys will cause big problems, especially with worn locks.

with vehicle locks, that's pretty much a complete waste of time and
money unless you also replace the cylinder and tumblers also. the
cylinders on car locks are made from cheap die-cast crap that's soft and
wears very quickly. same with the tumblers. once worn, spending the
money on a dealer cut key, as opposed to a reprint of existing, is not
fixing the problem, and may in fact be worse since the cylinder is "worn
to the wear".

that said, the cheapest way to get a new key is to use the valet.
usually, they're much thicker and don't wear like the normal key -
they're a good template for cheap "reprint" of a standard key.

>> Do NOT use dry graphite as a lock lubricant.
>>

> It's been as cold as -30 degrees here. However, I find it hard to
> believe that the problem with the driver's side door lock is
> weather-related given that I had no problems until a few days ago.
>
> What kind of oil do I need? How do I know that this wouldn't make
> the problem worse? (You said that graphite would make the problem
> worse.)

graphite's fine provided it's carried proper key oil.

> If the light oil works, is it a permanent fix, or do I still need to
> have the tumblers or other lock mechanism fixed/replaced?

if worn, the only real cure is to replace the cylinder and tumblers.
it's usually pretty easy on a honda since the mechanical doors locks are
so rudimentary. however, unless you do it yourself, be prepared to pay
big bucks at the dealer.

> Would it
> be a good idea to treat the door lock on the passenger's side as
> preventative maintenance?

not usually. the passenger side is usually not worn to anywhere near
the same degree, so you can typically not replace and everything will be
fine.

> Is there a chance that I could ever have a
> similar problem with the ignition? If that happens, I'd need to call
> for a tow truck.

if you can do this stuff yourself, and you really want to re-key, then
go ahead and do the ignition also. but on most hondas, the ignition
cylinder is made of better material than the door, thus doesn't wear as
fast and you're not anywhere near as likely to have a problem. door is
priority one.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum