Hum after rear-end gear change

Old August 1st 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:02:03 -0700 (PDT), "John S."
> wrote:

>On Jul 31, 6:54 pm, Spike > wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:29:27 -0700 (PDT), "88 Mustang GT Conv."
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

>> >I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>> >3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>> >which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>> >60-90 KM / Hr.

>> >I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>> >and should be ignored.

>> >Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

>> >The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>> >work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>> >little cost.

>> >I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>> >annoying.

>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Marc

>> Similar problem. Had the differential checked as a speed shop. Not a
>> thing wrong with the unit. When they put it back together, no sound.
>> The only change was the posi lube that gets mixed in. The speed shop
>> said to only use the Ford posi lube. Have not had a bit of problem
>> since. Nice and quiet. As I recall, and I can tell you what it calls
>> for, but they used 2 tubes of the Ford posi lube.

>guessing you are talking about the "friction modifier"... helps the
>clutches slip when you go around corners... without it they'll chatter
>a bit..

Exactamundo! Kept trying to think of the term for that stuff and just
drew a blank. :0)
Old August 2nd 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

While everyone loves to blame the mechanic... obviously the boat-person that
built the gearset is an expert, I have found that some gearsets are just
plain noisey.... Installation was performed using factory tools in
accordance with factory procedures and to factory specs.... and the gears
were noisy to some degree or another.... Another R&P, installed exactly the
same way, might give no noise at all...

The important thing to remember is that your mechanic MAY be the cause of
the noise... or he MAY be a victim of it..... There is no assurance that the
gearset was perfectly machined. Without knowing your mechanic nor what he
has for tools and/or skills.... there is no assurance that there is nothing
amiss with the installation.

The noise itself.... how loud is the hum????? Is it coming from the
gears???? (A dealer several miles away is having trouble with an 07 Mustang
GT - noise on decel.... three new gearsets and two wheel to wheel assemblies
and the noise is still there... ). My SuperCrew developed the dreaded "tip
in" gear whine while it was still under warranty.... I never did have the
time or shop space to have the concern addressed..... but it doesn't bother
me because playing the radio at normal volume makes the noise disappear....
How objectionable is your noise....

Now... before some of you guys try to rip my lips off.... I have no idea of
what any of you do for food..... But I dare you to tell me that you have
never.,.... EVER said "that's good enough...".

Old August 2nd 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 06:30:40 GMT, > wrote:

>While everyone loves to blame the mechanic... obviously the boat-person that
>built the gearset is an expert, I have found that some gearsets are just
>plain noisey.... Installation was performed using factory tools in
>accordance with factory procedures and to factory specs.... and the gears
>were noisy to some degree or another.... Another R&P, installed exactly the
>same way, might give no noise at all...
>
>The important thing to remember is that your mechanic MAY be the cause of
>the noise... or he MAY be a victim of it..... There is no assurance that the
>gearset was perfectly machined. Without knowing your mechanic nor what he
>has for tools and/or skills.... there is no assurance that there is nothing
>amiss with the installation.
>
>The noise itself.... how loud is the hum????? Is it coming from the
>gears???? (A dealer several miles away is having trouble with an 07 Mustang
>GT - noise on decel.... three new gearsets and two wheel to wheel assemblies
>and the noise is still there... ). My SuperCrew developed the dreaded "tip
>in" gear whine while it was still under warranty.... I never did have the
>time or shop space to have the concern addressed..... but it doesn't bother
>me because playing the radio at normal volume makes the noise disappear....
>How objectionable is your noise....
>
>Now... before some of you guys try to rip my lips off.... I have no idea of
>what any of you do for food..... But I dare you to tell me that you have
>never.,.... EVER said "that's good enough...".
>
>"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in message
>> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>>
>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>
>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>> and should be ignored.
>>
>> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>>
>> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>> little cost.
>>
>> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>> annoying.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Marc

To be honest, I can't recall ever having said "that's good enough",
although I might have. I DO know that on many an ocassion I have
said, 'screw this (or similar term)! I've had it/I need a break!'
Even, 'ta hell with it'. :0)
Old August 12th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
88 Mustang GT Conv.

On Aug 2, 2:30*am, > wrote:
> While everyone loves to blame the mechanic... obviously the boat-person that
> built the gearset is an expert, I have found that some gearsets are just
> plain noisey.... Installation was performed using factory tools in
> accordance with factory procedures and to factory specs.... and the gears
> were noisy to some degree or another.... Another R&P, installed exactly the
> same way, might give no noise at all...
>
> The important thing to remember is that your mechanic MAY be the cause of
> the noise... or he MAY be a victim of it..... There is no assurance that the
> gearset was perfectly machined. Without knowing your mechanic nor what he
> has for tools and/or skills.... there is no assurance that there is nothing
> amiss with the installation.
>
> The noise itself.... how loud is the hum????? Is it coming from the
> gears???? (A dealer several miles away is having trouble with an 07 Mustang
> GT - noise on decel.... three new gearsets and two wheel to wheel assemblies
> and the noise is still there... ). My SuperCrew developed the dreaded "tip
> in" gear whine while it was still under warranty.... I never did have the
> time or shop space to have the concern addressed..... but it doesn't bother
> me because playing the radio at normal volume makes the noise disappear.....
> How objectionable is your noise....
>
> Now... before some of you guys try to rip my lips off.... I have no idea of
> what any of you do for *food..... But I dare you to tell me that you have
> never.,.... EVER said "that's good enough...".
>
> "88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in ...
>

> > I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

> > I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> > 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> > which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> > 60-90 KM / Hr.

> > I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> > and should be ignored.

> > Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

> > The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> > work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> > little cost.

> > I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> > annoying.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marc- Hide quoted text -

Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same mechanic
who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
him about it.

The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio (I
couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at these
speeds).

The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
"normal" (so far so good).

Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He always
goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.

Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things a
little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running well.

Regards,
Marc
Old August 12th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_113_]

"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in
:

> [...]

>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Marc- Hide quoted text -

> Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same mechanic
> who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
> him about it.
>
> The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio (I
> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at these
> speeds).
>
> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
> "normal" (so far so good).
>
> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He always
> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>
> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things a
> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running well.

I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it, he
certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.
Old August 12th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

:

> [...]

>> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at these
>> speeds).
>>
>> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
>> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
>> "normal" (so far so good).
>>
>> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He always
>> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>>
>> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things a
>> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running well.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marc

>I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it, he
>certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
>drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.

With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since the
addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is, have
forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.
Old August 12th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:

> Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same mechanic
> who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
> him about it.
>
> The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio (I
> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at these
> speeds).
>
> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
> "normal" (so far so good).
>
> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He always
> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>
> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things a
> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running well.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

I'd really have to have asked why he didn't catch it in the first
place. And although the sounds like a good outcome, my rear end did not
make a barely noticeable, "you gotta listen hard to hear it" noise when
they installed the new rear, it made zero, just like the original. It
just sounds like he's guessing at the adjustment.

--

"While the fringe on one side hurl epithets at the fringe
on the other side, the vast bulk of us sit here somewhere
Old August 13th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_113_]

Spike > wrote in
:

@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

>>> hat

tools
>>> he

>>> the
>>> ng

>>> ng
>>> ies

dreaded

have
>>> er
>>> ..

>>> of

you
>>> ve

noise

>>> Just an update....I picked up the car yesterday from the same

mechanic
>>> who completely accepted to look into the situation after I contacted
>>> him about it.
>>>
>>> The noise was loud enough that I could not drown it with the radio

(I
>>> couldn't have a conversation without having to raise my voice at

these
>>> speeds).
>>>
>>> The mechanic has adjusted a few things and the noise is barely
>>> noticeable (you really have to listen for it) and is in my opinion
>>> "normal" (so far so good).
>>>
>>> Like I said he is a great person and is an avid Mustang fan. He

always
>>> goes above and beyond and this time around proved that once again.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all of your advice. It has helped me understand things

>>> little more and in the end my car is back in my driveway running

well.

>>> Regards,
>>> Marc

>>I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it,

he
>>certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
>>drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.

> With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since the
> addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
> Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is, have
> forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.

My experience has been that if the posi lube isn't added, things are
still fairly "normal" until you make a turn. Then it's more of a
chatter than a whine.

I still think the guy might not have adjusted them properly (not enough
time?), then when he got it back he had to do it right. Guess we'll
never really know...
Old August 13th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

:

>> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:25:14 GMT, Joe > wrote:
>>
>>>"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in

:

SNIP

>>>I gotta ask - why the noise in the first place? If he test-drove it,

>he
>>>certainly would've heard what you described (the radio wouldn't even
>>>drown it out). If he didn't test drive it, then that's another story.

>> With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since the
>> addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
>> Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is, have
>> forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.

>My experience has been that if the posi lube isn't added, things are
>still fairly "normal" until you make a turn. Then it's more of a
>chatter than a whine.
>
>I still think the guy might not have adjusted them properly (not enough
>time?), then when he got it back he had to do it right. Guess we'll
>never really know...

"Chatter" might be one way to describe it. Long ago and far away,
there was a toy comprised of a string of squares held together with
cloth bands. When you flipped the top one over, like dominos, the rest
turned over with a CLACK CLKACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!
Now, that's sorta what it sounded like. You're right, mostly during a
turn with the left turn being far worse than the right, and when
backing. Not what anyone, especially the owner wants to hear!

Old August 13th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_86_]

Spike > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:41:18 GMT, Joe > wrote:
>
>>Spike > wrote in
m:

:

> SNIP

it,
>>he

story.

>>> With mine, the more I drove it the louder and worse it got. Since

the
>>> addition of the posi lube, it's been over a year with zero "noise".
>>> Sounds like the mechanic might, no matter how great a guy he is,

have
>>> forgotten to add the correct lube, or similar.

>>My experience has been that if the posi lube isn't added, things are
>>still fairly "normal" until you make a turn. Then it's more of a
>>chatter than a whine.
>>
>>I still think the guy might not have adjusted them properly (not

enough
>>time?), then when he got it back he had to do it right. Guess we'll
>>never really know...

> "Chatter" might be one way to describe it. Long ago and far away,
> there was a toy comprised of a string of squares held together with
> cloth bands. When you flipped the top one over, like dominos, the rest
> turned over with a CLACK CLKACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!
> Now, that's sorta what it sounded like.

Yeah, I remember something like that but I'll be damned if I know what
it was called. I'm not too far behind you in years...

> You're right, mostly during a
> turn with the left turn being far worse than the right, and when
> backing. Not what anyone, especially the owner wants to hear!

That's for sure. My Dakota has a limited slip, and if I let it go too
long w/o changing the fluid, the friction modifier loses some of its
effectiveness and the rear starts chattering on turns like a bunch of
chipmunks. First time I heard that I freaked, thinking the rear was
exploding. A quick trip to the dealer and a fresh fluid change with new
friction modifier made it as good as new.

gear change Paul J. Veres Dodge 0 June 4th 07 01:18 PM
GEAR NOB CHANGE cama via CarKB.com Alfa Romeo 2 March 22nd 06 06:39 PM
gear change over Mr.~G. Ford Mustang 5 September 9th 05 07:39 PM
Rear gear change in '91 5point0 Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 03:24 PM
Gear change and Air Con Ballymoney Alfa Romeo 3 October 3rd 04 08:40 AM