Adding a fuel-pressure check port

Old June 3rd 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
stilllearning

Default Adding a fuel-pressure check port

I occasionally want to measure fuel pressure on my Jeep WJ 2004 4.0L
I6. I am looking at installing a Schrader valve - the Jeep deosn't
seem to have one. Can anyone provide suggestions on where to put a
schrader valve and how? I was thinking of cutting the plastic hose
close to where the fuel enters the fuel rail, inserting a 1/8" NPT
brass T with a Schrader valve in the middle, and clamping with two
screw-clamps. Any safety issues here? Is there a better long-term or
safer solution?

Also, occasionally, I would like to be able to check pressure while
accelerating etc. Is it worth installing an electrical sending unit so
I can connect a couple of cables and a gauge and stick them to the
windshied when testing?

Thank you.

Old June 3rd 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You could install the valve like you mention. They make solid
track/band worm clamps for the higher pressure lines something like the
ones with the slots for threads.

I don't really see the need though. Usually when a Jeep fuel pump up
and quits, it up and quits. Unless you are having issues???

Mike

Old June 3rd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne

What's a band worm clamp ? Is that what we call a Jubillee clip over here ?

Dave Milne, Scotland

ng.com...

Old June 3rd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The normal 'hose clamps' that screw along a slotted track are called
worm clamps. They make them for higher pressure applications with a
solid band stamped with threads.

I either use one of those or I double the old style ones.

Mike

Old June 3rd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht

Rather than creating a potential leak problem, you'd be better off
buying or making an adapter you could insert between the line and the
rail to check pressure. You don't need a permanent test port.

Old June 4th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
stilllearning

On Jun 3, 5:38 pm, bllsht > wrote:
> Rather than creating a potential leak problem, you'd be better off
> buying or making an adapter you could insert between the line and the
> rail to check pressure. You don't need a permanent test port.
>
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 10:38:25 -0700, stilllearning >
> wrote:
>

> >I occasionally want to measure fuel pressure on my Jeep WJ 2004 4.0L
> >I6. I am looking at installing a Schrader valve - the Jeep deosn't
> >seem to have one. Can anyone provide suggestions on where to put a
> >schrader valve and how? I was thinking of cutting the plastic hose
> >close to where the fuel enters the fuel rail, inserting a 1/8" NPT
> >brass T with a Schrader valve in the middle, and clamping with two
> >screw-clamps. Any safety issues here? Is there a better long-term or
> >safer solution?

> >Also, occasionally, I would like to be able to check pressure while
> >accelerating etc. Is it worth installing an electrical sending unit so
> >I can connect a couple of cables and a gauge and stick them to the
> >windshied when testing?

> >Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

Here is the connector at the fuel rail:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shahswim...804411800994/0

Is there an adapter available?

Old June 4th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
stilllearning

On Jun 3, 1:50 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> You could install the valve like you mention. They make solid
> track/band worm clamps for the higher pressure lines something like the
> ones with the slots for threads.
>
> I don't really see the need though. Usually when a Jeep fuel pump up
> and quits, it up and quits. Unless you are having issues???
>
> Mike
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>

> stilllearning wrote:
> > I occasionally want to measure fuel pressure on my Jeep WJ 2004 4.0L
> > I6. I am looking at installing a Schrader valve - the Jeep deosn't
> > seem to have one. Can anyone provide suggestions on where to put a
> > schrader valve and how? I was thinking of cutting the plastic hose
> > close to where the fuel enters the fuel rail, inserting a 1/8" NPT
> > brass T with a Schrader valve in the middle, and clamping with two
> > screw-clamps. Any safety issues here? Is there a better long-term or
> > safer solution?

> > Also, occasionally, I would like to be able to check pressure while
> > accelerating etc. Is it worth installing an electrical sending unit so
> > I can connect a couple of cables and a gauge and stick them to the
> > windshied when testing?

> > Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

I do not have any problems; I was thinking of putting in a fuel port
as a pro-active measure. I would like to study the pressure patterns
at idle, during winter, while accelerating and such, so that when a
problem occurs, I am somewhat prepared. The problem could be fuel
pump, fuel regulator, leaks and such. Moreover, when the car stalls,
the problem could or could not be fuel pressure related.

My last car, a 1994 Ford Taurus, was running pretty good until 198K
miles when it stalled on the road, in 2004. I thought the car is old
and would not be worth towing and taking to a mechanic. The car did
eventually start but did not have power. I replaced it with my current
Jeep. I wish I had studied it's fuel and intake systems; I get a
feeling there was a relatively minor problem.

Old June 4th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

stilllearning wrote:

> Here is the connector at the fuel rail:
>
> http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shahswim...804411800994/0
>
> Is there an adapter available?

Only as part of a fuel pressure test kit. The problem is getting
the fiddly metal bit that is on the rail.

I'd probably just splice in a test port with a spare hole for
any future pressure gauge. My only concern would be putting
excess weight on the quick connector. I've got a setup that
does just that and if I'm not careful about the excess weight
it can cause a drip in the wintertime. However, I've got a bit
more connected to the rail than you would.
http://revbeergoggles.com/regulator-detail.jpg
That's a 75 psi regulator by the way.

--
DougW

Old June 4th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

stilllearning wrote:

> I do not have any problems; I was thinking of putting in a fuel port
> as a pro-active measure. I would like to study the pressure patterns
> at idle, during winter, while accelerating and such, so that when a
> problem occurs, I am somewhat prepared. The problem could be fuel
> pump, fuel regulator, leaks and such. Moreover, when the car stalls,
> the problem could or could not be fuel pressure related.

Ok.. this is what your going to see.

ign on -- idealy a few psi from the last shutdown
followed by a run up to operating psi
start/idle -- basic static pressure
running -- basic static pressure
wide open -- a couple more psi (depends on the year)
shutdown -- a slow but steady build as fuel in the
rail expands due to heat. Followed by
a return to normal and a very slow decrease

Nothing apart from a very sensitive electronic sensor
and scope could detect injector firing.

About the only things of interest are
1) lower fuel pressure on acceleration
- clogged fuel filter
- bad pressure regulator (which for your model is in the pump)
- worn pump
2) slow decrease in pressure with engine off
- leaking fuel system or injector

Your probably better off buying a good scantool and learning how
to use it. Most of the stuff is monitored by the compooter these
days.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 4th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Are you certain there is no test port? Maybe they did away with them, but
there is one on my '00 Wrangler with the same engine. It's on the fuel rail.

oups.com...