"Emergency Vehicle"

Old December 7th 17, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default "Emergency Vehicle"

Back when we were doing a lot of traveling (NOT interstates) in the
midwest and east, every once on a while we would see a large official
sign by the side of the main road proclaiming EMERGENCY VEHICLE. There
would be some sort of cutout or dirt road leading to some unknown
destination, and there was ALWAYS some sort of ancient rusted wreck nearby.

We've pondered these signs for decades, with no conclusion. Anybody
know WTF these signs actually are for and why there are always wrecks
nearby?

--
Cheers, Bev
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\
Old December 12th 17, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
Jeff[_27_]

The Real Bev > wrote in
news
> Back when we were doing a lot of traveling (NOT interstates) in the
> midwest and east, every once on a while we would see a large official
> sign by the side of the main road proclaiming EMERGENCY VEHICLE. There
> would be some sort of cutout or dirt road leading to some unknown
> destination, and there was ALWAYS some sort of ancient rusted wreck
> nearby.
>
> We've pondered these signs for decades, with no conclusion. Anybody
> know WTF these signs actually are for and why there are always wrecks
> nearby?

My first guess would be that there is hidden residence(s) down that road and
the sign is to show emergency vehicles where to turn if they are trying to
get access.

A less likely second guess could be that a volunteer fireman is down that
road and the sign is to warn you that an emergency vehicle could come out to
the main road there.

Can't explain the wrecks, though.

Old December 12th 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,ca.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 12/12/2017 12:13 AM, Jeff wrote:
> The Real Bev > wrote in
> news >
>> Back when we were doing a lot of traveling (NOT interstates) in the
>> midwest and east, every once on a while we would see a large official
>> sign by the side of the main road proclaiming EMERGENCY VEHICLE. There
>> would be some sort of cutout or dirt road leading to some unknown
>> destination, and there was ALWAYS some sort of ancient rusted wreck
>> nearby.
>>
>> We've pondered these signs for decades, with no conclusion. Anybody
>> know WTF these signs actually are for and why there are always wrecks
>> nearby?

> My first guess would be that there is hidden residence(s) down that road and
> the sign is to show emergency vehicles where to turn if they are trying to
> get access.
>
> A less likely second guess could be that a volunteer fireman is down that
> road and the sign is to warn you that an emergency vehicle could come out to
> the main road there.
>
> Can't explain the wrecks, though.

Perhaps people who didn't get out of the way of the emerging emergency
vehicle fast enough...

--
Cheers, Bev
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the