Old October 8th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
John Smith

Default replacing the transfer case chain?

Jim, thanks for the reply. My case is an AWD case, no 4 low or engage motor
involved. I think the repair would be similar, and if I do it I will get
the manual. I'm not sure its the chain I hear now though as I have posted
in a few other forums and gotten different theories. I'd be interested to
hear your diagnosis of this noise. It's a clicking noise when I go straight
slowly, and more like a grinding or growling noise as I turn a tight radius
slowly, and has gotten worse of the years. At highway speeds I don't hear
anything. I replaced the CV joints / axles, because some people were "sure"
that was the problem but the noise persists. Now, I had someone suggest I
remove the drive shaft, which I did, and the noise goes away. With the
drive shaft on the bench, all the universals "seem" to be free and smooth.
If one was binding, I would think I found the problem. A rebuilt drive
shaft is about $200. I already replaced the front axles, seemingly for
nothing. I don't mind making either repair, the T-case ot the drive shaft.
I just want to make the right repair this time. Any thoughts on this are
appreciated.

Bill