Old November 25th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

Default Bailout for the Big Three?? How will it help??

Some O wrote:
> > The big problem will be supplying the huge amount of
> > electricity. Big expansion of electric generating
> > capacity will be needed. Solar cells on the roofs
> > of plug in electric vehicles would help.

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:
> Actually - no. If we're talking about a mass adoption of gas-electric
> hybrids, then we're not looking at much, or any, additional load to the
> electricity grid. Remember that the Prius does not (from the factory)
> have the ability to be plug-in charged. There is no need, because it's
> battery system is not large enough, nor designed, to be the main energy
> source for the vehicle.

Actually- yes. More Hybrids will become plug in, where they can travel
40+ miles on battery alone. The gas engine is only used for extended
trips or for additional power. Much commuting could be done on plug in
power alone.
The Volt is of this type, I've read the Prius will also have this plug
in capability.
The Volt type of vehicle definitely interests me. I could get by with
the one car I have now, yet enjoy excellent urban mileage and long
distance highway driving.