Old September 7th 04, 12:35 PM
RWDoyle

When I began shopping for a Corvette back in May, I searched Ebay
extensively. I was only willing to consider cars that were within 200 miles
of my home specifically because I wanted to:
1) be able to drive out to inspect it before bidding
2) avoid paying a 3rd party to deliver it

I am VERY glad I chose to adhere to this rule. I found two cars (I was
searching for C3's) that were within my price and distance range. I drove
to see them both. I was hugely disappointed with one and very surprised by
the other.

The seller of the first car left a lot of information out of the ad. For
instance, the car's ad showed very nice looking photos and listed a couple
of the car's problems (minor ones). Upon inspection, I discovered the
following:
- headlights didn't pop up
- windshield wiper motor was not working
- the doors could not be opened from the outside... he actually parked the
car (outside) with the windows open about 3 inches so he could reach in and
remove a T-top and then open the door from the inside. Oh, and this meant
there was water damage and mildew in the car.
- the dash was basically falling apart
- the rear bumper was damaged (there were no photos of this in the ad) and
the rear emblem ($50) was missing
- there were significant paint blemishes that were not visible in the ad

The seller of the 2nd car was just the opposite. The ad actually didn't do
the car justice. The car was immaculate, ran very well, and all the
accessories worked. However, the ad was very basic.

I did not end up buying either car (I found one locally for a lower price)
but I was amused as I watched the bidding and saw the car in poor condition
sell for more $$ than the good car. Had I been bidding without a physical
inspection, I may have won the bid on the poor quality car and been hugely
disappointed (even angry) when I went to pick it up.

The lesson I learned was to always check the car out in person before
bidding. Bidding without the inspection could win you a great car or a huge
dissappointment, and doing so is a total crapshoot!

Ryan

79 L-48