Old August 18th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tracy

Default Main Engine Seal Leak

"Mel P." > wrote in message
> Is there a quick or easy way to check the main engine seal for leaks
> without removing engine?
> I have a leak that seems to originate from that area.
>
> tia,

Hi Tia, I had a front main seal leak recently. If you can tell what type of
oil it is (gear oil or engine oil) then you'll know. You can also monitor
your oil levels to see what is leaking but that takes time. I recomend that
you thoroughly clean the engine so you can better see where the leak is
coming from. If it is the engine/trans union, it's either a transmission
input or a front main engine seal, get one of each before you pull the
engine, they're pretty cheap.