Old April 22nd 15, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default 1988 ( Cadillac runaway acceleration)

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:38:57 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>Two data points:
>
>(1) On the freeway, at roughly 55 mph, I gunned the engine. Passenger
>reported it went up to 3K before I backed off, at which point it dropped
>normally. Just a test...
>
>(2) Leaving a parking lot, with my foot on the brake, the involuntary
>acceleration started. I immediately shifted to neutral and watched the
>rpm rise to 2700 before I tapped the accelerator, bringing it back to
>normal.
>
>Curiouser and curiouser...

I'm still thinking two things, broken or disconnected throttle return
springs or that CC cable still connected. Also, if your mechanic
disconnected the cruise cable ONLY at the servo end but left it
connected at the throttle body that could cause problems too because
it means there is nothing pulling that cable back "off" anymore so the
still connected end at the throttle body could be swiveling around and
flopping around and hitting things down under the air cleaner where
you can't see it.