Old January 30th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Love my CRV 1999. Does anyone know if there is an online 'usermanual.'

Tegger wrote:
> "Elle" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Tegger" > wrote

>> I updated Firefox not long ago and it changed something in a
>> way I did not like. Hence I now avoid updates etc. unless
>> it's essential. Yes, I have been told that this is a little
>> risky. Yet sometimes I think there's a lot of nonsense going
>> around about virus risks, etc. Software companies selling
>> their wares.
>>
>> So thanks anyway.

> I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.11 (latest update).
>
> The only Add-On I have installed is IE Tab, just because I hate having to
> go to IE for the few pages that don't work right in Firefox. I do allow
> Firefox to upgrade whenever it prompts me to, and I've found Firefox to be
> completely stable and reliable.
>

>>> I posted a question about that very issue in
>>> rec.autos.tech a few months
>>> ago. I think basically nobody knows why this happens.
>>>
>>> Just rolled over 298,000 yesterday. Less than 2,000 miles
>>> to go!

>> You do not buy the collapsed oil control ring spacer theory
>> you posted recently here? I have not given this any study,
>> other than noting you noted it.
>>

> The collapsed oil control ring theory came from a tech who posts in
> rec.autos.tech. It sounds plausible to me, but without tearing the motor
> apart, who knows for sure?

just 'cos he posts on .tech, doesn't mean he knows what he's talking
about - this is usenet. another "tech" forum i frequent has a certain
poster that asserts himself to be an engineer from a certain prestigious
university, but is the most frightful bull****ter with wildly
underinformed guesses on a whole bunch of subjects about which he
clearly knows nothing. but because he writes in a definite
authoritative style, and asserts expertise, others get suckered into
believing what he writes. and worse, no one else questions! one such
subject is metal fatigue, a subject i studied for many years and on
which i happen to have some experience - so i /know/ this guy's just
guessing [bull****ting].

bottom line: guesses are fine, but guesses presented as fact? not
smart. here's a fact for you though - collapsed rings burn oil - and
it's a one-way street that only increases. collapsed ring consumption
is significant. yours is [was] highish, but is not sufficient to
support this "theory".

[there /is/ a reason i don't bother with r.a.t...]