Old February 5th 13, 10:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default 406 Twin Turbo

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
> .. .
>

> In Europe I saw many old Coopers (the real ones) that would pass you well
> over 100, that's not only a hobby over there, it's a cult. As a whole I
> see
> very few hot cars on the road, many more with $25,000 worth of sound
> equipment or 3,000 pounds of hydraulics. I live in the mid-west where it
> is
> so flat I can see houses 8/10 miles away so there is no loss of those that
> think those long straight roads were made for drag racing. Milan to the
> north and Norwalk to the south and many more small weekend tracks that
> have
> closed because of insurance costs. Still go to Eldora to watch the NASCAR
> guys shake it up on Tony's track and MIS is 30 minutes away. Lots of late
> model sprint cars and WoO competition all around here.
>
> Oh to be 71 again.......... ;-)
> Yeah! Every day is a gift. I spent a very enjoyable tour tour in the UK
> in early 80s. Lots of interesting cars -- Lotus 7s plenty of real Minis.
> Ford had some interesting small cars at that time too which you never saw
> in the States. In fact, emissions controls were unheard of -- the Mazda 2
> ltr I drove had a choke and was right hand drive 5 speed. US cars were
> really too big, except on the motorway.

They changed the name from Carriage Way when I was there. ;-))

The most vehicles I saw there from the USA were dually ton Chevrolet
pickups.

I saw a high speed wreck just north of London on the M1 and they were
picking up the remains by hand, the biggest part I saw was the dash, never
saw the engine.

Fun place, may go back if time allows.