Old January 1st 10, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

On 01/01/2010 08:37 AM, Tegger wrote:
> jim > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 01/01/2010 07:33 AM, Tegger wrote:

>>> Having said that, I am of the opinion that you can never change your
>>> oil too often.

>> with respect, that opinion is underinformed. from
>> http://www.swri.org/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm

> This is an extremely interesting document, so thanks for the link. However,
> it dates from 1999.
>
> The last paragraph is significant, in that the authors note their findings
> have not yet been fleshed-out or verified by additional testing, and are
> based on limited data.
>
> Quite a lot may have happened in the succeeding ten years since that doc
> was written, but there's nothing new on the SwRI site.

1999 or not, that doesn't change the physics. think of it like this:
solid ice can rough you up pretty badly. water offers almost no
lubrication worth worrying about. but ice slurry, where the smaller
particles are free to slide among themselves, can be a fantastic remover
of friction.

>> we read: "Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some
>> wear debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil."

> And this: "...many oil chemistries require time and temperature to enhance
> their effectiveness".

that means you leave to oil /in/ for it to reach maximum effectiveness!
to be clear though - i would not recommend it for cheap oil - that
stuff breaks down, loses viscosity and sludges up your engine. but i
wouldn't use cheap oil - period. breakdown, poor additive packages,
lousy seal conditioning - just stay away.

> I'm really curious what real-world lessons those statements and test
> results have for us car owners. They have a contact page, I see. Next week
> I'll submit a few questions to them in the hopes of getting an answer.
>
> Stay tuned...

that would be great - thank you!