Old January 1st 10, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

jim beam > wrote in
:

> On 01/01/2010 07:33 AM, Tegger wrote:

>> Having said that, I am of the opinion that you can never change your
>> oil too often.

> with respect, that opinion is underinformed. from
> http://www.swri.org/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm

This is an extremely interesting document, so thanks for the link. However,
it dates from 1999.

The last paragraph is significant, in that the authors note their findings
have not yet been fleshed-out or verified by additional testing, and are
based on limited data.

Quite a lot may have happened in the succeeding ten years since that doc
was written, but there's nothing new on the SwRI site.

> we read: "Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some
> wear debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil."

And this: "...many oil chemistries require time and temperature to enhance
their effectiveness".

I'm really curious what real-world lessons those statements and test
results have for us car owners. They have a contact page, I see. Next week
I'll submit a few questions to them in the hopes of getting an answer.

Stay tuned...

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ