Old January 15th 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Price fixing among tire manufacturers

Bill Putney wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> Bill Putney wrote:

>>> Two answers to that:
>>> (1) Ask Mr. Harding what "profits" he was talking about - ask him to
>>> provide percentage profits in the context he was talking in. (you
>>> snipped his original comment).
>>> (2) Ask all the people that keep talking about "record profits" to
>>> define what they mean by that (they won't because they are just
>>> repeating whatever they are told on the blogs about that and have no
>>> concept of running a business or whay you talk in terms of
>>> percentnage and not dollars to have any relative meaning).

>> You must work for the API or AEI or some other rightwingnut organization.

> And if the answer to that is 'no' (and it indeed is 'no', maybe your
> thought processes are flawed (generally if a person's conclusions based
> on assumptions they make are nowhere near accurate, it is a safe bet
> that their main premise(s) is(are) faulty).

Sorry, I'd forgotten how humorless you rightwingnuts truly are. Would
you have felt better if I'd included a smiley?

> Let's see - this is how much "connected" with the API and AEI a API =
> American Petroleum Institute - that's the logo or whatever you see for
> certification of motor oil? Did I get that right? AEI = American
> Energy Institute - that's my SWAG - I'd have to Google it to see if I
> got it right, but won't waste the time.

Setting standards is one aspect of the API (you guessed right, the
American Petroleum Institute). It's a major industry group which
represents the interests of petroleum & related companies. Here's a link
to their Media Contacts page:

http://www.api.org/Newsroom/contacts/

Setting API standards is hardly their primary function.

>> I'm not the one who described ExxonMobil's profits as "record",
>> virtually everyone has:
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...xonmobil_x.htm

> Yes - and they make the mistake that you either are or pretend to be
> blind to: Never stating the profits in percent but only in raw dollars.

Dude, take it up with the AICPA. I don't make the rules here and neither
do the news media.

<repeated horse**** snipped>