Old October 8th 04, 04:00 PM
Caroline

"Viktor" > wrote
> Hi everybody,
> I bought used '97 Civic CX 2-door hatchback two years ago and have
> noticed that the engine eats the oil signigicantly (3000 miles
> decreased the oil level by half).

After 3000 miles, is the oil still above the low mark on the dipstick?

About how much oil are you adding every 3000 miles? If it's less than a quart, I
don't think there's a major problem.

Check the outside of the engine from beneath the valve cover to beneath the oil
pan gasket. Do you see any oil on the outside of the engine?

How is the car's fuel mileage, and when was the last time the PCV valve was
changed?

A failed (or failing) PCV valve may cause leakage past oil seals and low fuel
mileage. Replacing the PCV valve at least every 60k miles often pays off.

Also, is the coolant reservoir level steady?

> Otherwise it runs great, just passed
> the emission test.
> Is my engine on its way out?
> Is there some inexpensive way to correct it?
> If engine dies, how much could it cost to replace or repair the
> engine?
>
> Thanks a lot!

How many miles are on this Honda?

Caroline