Old June 22nd 04, 09:29 PM
Catman

Ypnos wrote:

> Hello again
>
> As mentioned in a previous post, I'm a complete newbie, not only to Alfas
> but to cars in general (only owned a car for a year). So I have a few
> questions.... They will probably seem daft, but here goes anyway.
>
> For an Alfa 156 1.8TS 16v - UK version
>
> 1) Cleaning the engine. How would I go about washing it safely? It's
> absolutely filthy (not oil, just what it has been picking up off the
> road)!

Wouldn't bother IIWY. If you *really* want to do it, get some Gunk and use
a hose. Steam cleaning is generally reagarded as bad for underbonnet
electronics, but I've never been 100% convinced.

> 2) Oil. I know it's been asked before, but I'm confused by the
> amount of answers. I don't particularly want to send off for Selenia oil
> but I also don't mind spending good money on good oil.

Castrol Magnatec is just fine IME. You really don't need Selenia.

> 3) Engine coolant. It's less than a third full, should I fill it? Can I
> drain it first? If so, how? What make of coolant?

Not sure about the 156, but there should be min and max marked on the
header. Check the manual. Any decent brand should be fine. You can drain
it if it is indicated by the service schedule, or you really want to.

> 4) Redex - Yes or no? Are there other cheaper makes that are just as good?

General consensus is they are all as pointless as each other. YMMV

> 5) Would it make sense to have an FAQ with dumb questions like these?

Possbily, but they're not actually that F. The FAQ was originally created
as a way for me to limit off topic and spam posts. We have polled for more
questions in the past, but there has been little response.

> 6) Any other tips for a new driver?

It's an Alfa, you've made a good start. Enjoy
Coming to Alfa day?
> Thank you in advance!

Pleasure
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk