Old March 11th 04, 10:53 PM
Matt Mead

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:34:10 -0700, "xyzzy" > wrote:

>Your Friend Pieter Feeds his family with sales,
>He obviously spent time with you before test driving the first batch of
>cars, and went home to wife and family saying - No sale today dear - Maybe
>next week"
>This week you come back wanting to test a new batch - Pieter may have been
>rude, but his refusal to let you test the cars is understandable, you
>obviously are not ready to buy, and test driving with you m,ay actually take
>him away from a Buying Customer waiting in the lobby. Perhaps if Salesmen
>earned $100 (US) for each test drive it would be different, but you
>mentioned taking the day off work for this as if losing a days pay was
>important to you, well think about it, losing a days pay is also important
>to Pieter. Pieter isn't paid to take you on a ride. And after you test all
>the cars and decide which one you want, you will probably sit down with the
>salesman and insist on the lowest price, even threatening to go to a lower
>priced dealer down the street who never had to spend any of his own time
>letting you joyride.
>
>Think about the other guy for a minute - Would you want to take a
>refridgerator home to see how it looks for free. At least offer Pieter $50
>(US) to take his wife to dinner when he explains he spent all day with you
>again, and didn't make a dime.

While I agree that Petey may not have made a sale on the first day or
the second, his job as a salesman is to sell cars for this dealership,
period. While a saleman loves the quick sale, realistically, a buyer
is going to make more than one trip to the dealership and a GOOD
salesman will accomodate this. There is absolutely no excuse for him
to be rude.

Now, the original poster is also telling us the tale he wants us to
hear. We don't really know how he treated Petey or how big of a pain
in the butt he (the poster) was during the process. If he was
friendly and told Petey up front the whole situation, then he
shouldn't have received the treatment he did upon returning.

While Petey may only be concerned about HIS sale, his management might
feel a little different. Not only has Petey lost a sale, but he has
lost himself and the dealership future sales from the poster and
referrels he may have made. The dealership also potentially lost
service work and even accessory sales. Bottom line, this is not the
way a professional salesman works.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4