Old November 5th 05, 07:46 PM
Comboverfish

Default 2001 ford 4.0 cold idle issue

grimB wrote:
> I have a 2001 ford 4.0L SOHC in a sporttrak runs great all year except
> when its about 40F outside idle acts like it wants to stall. I can baby it
> and get it running again after it stalls like this but it must be some cold
> air thing for it to act this way only in cold months. Any ideas are welcome.

You most likely are experiencing leakage past your upper plenum orings,
and to a lesser extent, lower intake manifold oring gaskets. Your
problem may still be in the early stages of failurre where no trouble
codes have set, but you still get an occasional cold stall or idle
fluctuation.

Cleaning or replacing the IAC is cheap enough to do -- they do fail
quite often -- but you need to get ahold of a Ford dealer and see if
your VIN and mileage allow you to qualify for the intake gasket
replacement recall. I don't know what the recall's mileage cap is, but
a 2001 4.0 V6 should qualify for the repair.

Toyota MDT in MO