Old October 10th 08, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
RJD

Default e34 95 525i oil leak behind oil filter cup housing

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:51:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>the1995 e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
>filter cup. I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
>lower rear of the oil cup. There is a circular indentation or cutout
>with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
>in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. I was wondering
>if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
>engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
>of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

It sounds like you are decribing the oil line with Banjo bolt that
connects to the upper front end of the cylinder head. It starts at the
lower end of the oil filter boss and snakes it way along until it pops
out very close to the top of the oil filter cap but terminates on the
VANOS solenoid.

If this is correct I'd get a new oil line and the 4 metal washers that
are used to secure it to the engine. That should stop the leak. You
can replace it without removing too many componets but it will be a
tight fit.

RJD