Old January 14th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
nofalt

Default SPS spark plug wires and Bosch Platinum +4

> > 2. Should I change the plugs for Platinum +4s that are gapped to the
> > spec?

> You dont gap Bosch plugs... You pitch them. +2's, +4's, Splitfires etc
> etc are 100% pure gimmick and all Bosch spark plugs just suck. They are
> easily fouled and the platinum tips fall out. The 100k mile warranty is
> a joke. One set pays for the next two sets you will trade in way before
> that.

I have to agree with this one...Bosch is not what it says.

> There are only two types of spark plugs I recommend. AC Delco and
> Autolite both in Double Platinum since this is a "Waste Spark" Ignition
> System. Some here swear by NGK.
> Double Platinum plugs should last 80k miles.
> Non platinum plugs last about 30k tops.
> (Depends on how often they spark, not how far you drive.)

The Saturns don't like the platinums at all. They seem to last for
about 5-8K and start to get very fouled due to the waste spark.

> The original spec for Spark Plug Gaps on S-Series Saturn's was .060"
> It was later changed to .040" and this is in all the parts books now.
> I have read where some had noticed an impact on fuel economy with this
> change...Unconfirmed though.

Yes this was an experiment with Saturn. They did change it back
although there are still stickers out there that say the old gaping.
All and all get rid of the platinums and go back to the NGKs or Delco
and you should be fine (of course after checking the wire like
mentioned above that is)