Old January 28th 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default It's ALIVE!

Leon van Dommelen > wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 12:31:51 -0700, XS11E wrote:
>
>> Robert Klemme > wrote:

>>> Sounds like a proper resurrection. Congratulations!

>> Not that straight forward, when I went drive it I found a water
>> leak, turns out the upper thermostat housing had developed a
>> hole. Replaced it and now have a new leak, possibly the lower
>> thermostat housing.
>>
>> "It's always something"

> It can't be that you misidentified the original leak?

No, there was a 1/4" hole in the upper thermostat housing right at the
end of the upper radiator hose.

What I did wrong was not looking at the lower thermostat housing but
the thermostat was stuck solidly and I couldn't remove it w/o damaging
it so I left it in place and wasn't able to see the lower housing.

When I put it back together I ran the car for some time and it wasn't
leaking, I suspect the lower housing had a spot almost eaten through
and as the car came up to temperature (and pressure) it let go and
began leaking. I drove it some distance before the leak began.

The connector for the two small hoses is intact, I'll know more when I
get it apart again, I'm still recovering from the damage I did to my
arthritic back, hands, shoulders, etc. with the first go-round, I'm
still too sore to get at it today.

The Usenet Improvement Project: