Old June 20th 15, 10:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_3_]

Default Mazda Miata puffing white smoke after idling

On 2015-06-19 23:18:02 -0400, Valerie
> said:

> My 1996 mazda Miata puffs out white / heavy smoke after idling at light or
> stop sign.
>
> replaced head gaskets and did all top engine work while it was apart. got it
> back and it still smoked a little and got worse the more I drove it. replaced
> pcv valve, still smoking, cleaned throttle body, still smoking.
>
> after first work was done, I had some issues with the trans, it would not go
> into gear and it died sometimes, added trans fluid, and it did fine for a
> while longer, now trans fluid is down again but is not leaking on ground.
>
> Is the trans fluid somehow burning off thru the exhaust?
>
> I am lost and so is my mechanic. Please help

I'm no expert. Just some idle thoughts until an expert replies...

I was told that white smoke indicates water, but short of a cracked
block you seem to have covered that. Also, water level would go down...

I have no idea what color trans fluid burns at. I also cannot imagine
how trans fluid can get into the engine past the clutch. But if it's
not dripping on the ground where is it going?

I would be tempted to take a very close look at the clutch see if there
is some leakage along the shafts. Any issues with clutch operation at
all?

Since you smoke after idling, I am thinking some kind of vacuum or
pressure differential sucking fluid.

Hope this provides a starting point.