Old February 2nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Audi 100 5cyl cold start problem

My initial idea is to say the fuel injection relay might not be working the
contacts wear out regularly (100k) and often don't give enough power to the
pump, if it is working full on you should hear the pump kick in when you
turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds before you start it. I had a
similar problem on 100 CD similar engine set up 2226cc one. The relays are
about £20 from german and swedish if I remember rightly, however it is
possible to check this by actually bypassing this relay (not adviseable
normally but just for test purposes, I ran my car on a wired switch for
about two weeks until I managed to get a new one) as it's a safety feature
to kill the pump once the engine is not "firing" rev check. You can use a
suitable thick bit of wire between the sockets for the terminals once you
work out after taking out the relay which ones are required to hard wire
together. With the ignition on only you will hear the pump in the tank
working. If it fires with this you need a new relay. IS the spray from the
cold start very strong? The cold start is on a relay that bypasses the fuel
distibutor if I'm right and will drain any pressure in it, or the fuel valve
in the regulator is sticking. I assume you have not played with the mixture
setting or dropped anything into the plate that regulates the fuel air
mixture etc.

Give me a mail back if that doesn't help.

PAul
oups.com...