Old November 26th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default 1990 Honda Accord Idle fluctuation

Paul Jr > wrote in news:43771d97-174b-4f42-ba99-
:

>> I'll bet the fluctuations are only when the car is warm.
>>
>> If so, it's a stuck Fast Idle Thermo Valve. There is a way to test for
>> that.
>>

> Yes! the fluctuations are only when the car is warm. How do I test for
> a stuck Fast Idle Thermo Valve?

The Fast Idle Valve is a round, sort of tower-like thing to the left
(driver's) side of the intake manifold, between the "PGM-FI" logo and the
valve cover. It has two screws on top of it that hold a sheet-metal cover
in place.

With the engine fully warmed up and the idle fluctuating, remove the two
screws and the cover of the Fast Idle Valve. Feel the valve seat area with
your finger. If there *is* air flow (suction), the valve is stuck open. You
will probably find that once you cover the valve seat with your finger the
idle will settle down.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ