Old January 4th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is the use of "Nite Shades" on taillights legal?

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> Application of a tinted coating or any kind of covering, even a clear one,
> over a lighting device is prohibited by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety
> Standard 108 (Lamps and Reflective Devices).

My wife's son has a Jaguar that has now lost the two RHS lenses over the
right headlights (Not a sealed beam application). The lights work, but he
cannot find these lenses in the junkyards, and the new price looks
frighteningly
like a couple hundred bucks each.

We used to install plastic rock guards over the headlights of our company
cars to stop the almost continuous replacement of the sealed beams.

Do you interpret this legislation (And I cannot see any reason why it
wouldn't)
to prevent such protective covers?