Old January 4th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is the use of "Nite Shades" on taillights legal?

Ed White wrote:
> Is it legal to use the "Nite Shades" on taillight lens? This product
> darkens the lens. It seems to me this must have an impact on the amount
> of light emitted through the lens. Are there rules/regulations/laws
> that are in conflict with this product?
>
> Examples of its appliation can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/7h83x
> Product information is at
> http://www.stevensautoglaze.com/nati...o/niteshds.htm
>
> I noticed that the product disclaimer says - "This product is for
> off-road use only and can only be shipped to the continental US." This
> implies to me it is technically illegal, but does its use actually
> cause problems with law enforcement / vehicle inspection?
>
> Ed

Probably not. It really depends on the discretion of the police
officer, but the taillights are guaranteed by the mfgr. to be legal
only with a stock, unmodified lens. Now you may be able to use such a
product and still have legal light output, but there's too many
variables to give a blanket answer and I'm sure that a police officer
still might recognize them as being modified and issue a ticket anyway.
Short answer, I wouldn't take the risk.

nate