Old October 12th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Existential Angst

Default Tires: rotating, pressure, wear

Awl --

Some shops rotate tires just front to back, others do the cris-cross. Is
there a preferred way? I would think a purist or fanatic would rotate more
frequently as well, and include left to right as well. How to keep track,
tho.....

I over-inflate my tires, but notice no un-even wear pattern in a given tire.
I figured if I saw the middle wearing faster than the sides, this would be
proof of over-inflation, so I'm led to believe my over-inflation (a 35# tire
to 40, maybe 45) is not excessive. Is this assessment correct?

I calculated some time ago that the diff in pressure between a cold tire and
a hot tire should be about 10%, but never got around to measuring this.
Does this sound about right?

Lastly, in a rear-wheel drive vehicle (6 cyl '04 Frontier, crew, 6' bed, 4wd
rarely used, no towing, about 1/2 of its miles loaded with 500-1000 lbs),
which should wear faster, the front or the back, and by how much? And under
what conditions? Highway/city driving, in/about NYC.
My mechanic can't remember if he rotated the tires or not, and I noticed
quite a bit of difference in the wear between front/back, after 40,000 mi.

In a front wheel drive vehicle, for sure it would be the front, as they do
both the accelerating and the bulk of the braking, but in rear wheel drive,
the tasks are divided.

tia
--
EA