Old November 28th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Polishing my headlights

micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Nov 2020 06:18:47 -0600, Vic Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 01:13:08 -0500, micky > wrote:
>>
>>> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 18:05:44 -0600, Hank Rogers
>>> And they never burned out. Though I decided to get fancy and I
>>> replaced them once with halogen, and those did burn out.
>>>

>> Your memory of sealed beams is different than mine.

> Well maybe I didn't drive as much as I could have.

>> Besides replacing a few on my own
>> cars, I saw many "one-eyed" cars on the road. That's a rare sight nowadays.

> But I drive less now than I did then, and I was one-eyed twice in the
> last two years. Occasionally when I'm facing something reflective, a
> store window, certain cars, I test my headlights but I don't know how
> long they had been out. There are enough street lights here that
> unless I go to the next town at night, I can't tell by how well I can
> see.

The trade off with modern lighting is that to get brighter lighting with
the smaller reflectors used they run the bulbs at a higher voltage than
they used to. So an older sealed beam may have been tagged as a 12 volt.
but the filament was set up to run at 14 or higher. So the sealed beams
tended to last a while, unless they were the cheap ones and in poor
mountings.

> Also one fog light burned out. Will the police stop you for that? I
> guess, if allowed, it would make a good excuse and they like to stop
> people.

Nope, fog lights are not required lighting. They can stop you for
headlights, tail brake (although technically the laws state you need two
rear facing brake lights so if the CHMSL is working they cannot give you
a ticket for one out UNLESS it is also the turn lamp) And these days for
not having them on in the rain.

--
Steve W.