Old November 28th 20, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default Polishing my headlights

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 18:05:44 -0600, Hank Rogers
> wrote:

>Steve W. wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>>> 3 weeks ago I polished my headlight lenses.
>>> They came out great.
>>> I had replaced a bulb and noticed again how cloudy they were,
>>> 2005 car.
>>> It took about 2 hours but would have taken less if my back didn't
>>> hurt
>>> and I had to sit down over and over, and if then I didn't start
>>> listening to the radio on the day that the presidential election was
>>> called.* So maybe an hour.
>>> Instructions said to wash the lenses.
>>> Also to mask the painted part around the lenses.** I had 3 rolls of
>>> masking tape, the youngest 25 years old.* I checked in advance
>>> and the
>>> first roll worked fine, stuck fine, came off fine, but on the day
>>> I did
>>> this, I couldn't tear off an 10" piece without it ripping at 4
>>> inches.
>>> I didn't test for that.* But the 3rd roll worked.

>> For "dead" masking tape here is a trick, put it in a microwave for
>> 10-20 seconds depending on roll size. It will make it like new again.

Good to know. BTW, I didn't buy more than one of those rolls. Maybe
note even 1.

>> I have used the 3M kit but as you noted most of the kit's come with
>> nothing for UV. To really make them last the best solution is to
>> sand the old crud off in steps, then polish the light up, clean it
>> very well and spray it with an automotive clear top coat to seal it
>> and keep the UV from damaging it any more. You can buy that in
>> spray cans now with an activator in the bottom. You pop the bottom
>> button and shake the crap out of it, then let it set for however
>> long they say, that lets the two parts start to blend well and then
>> you apply it in thin coats.
>>

>Remember when we had sealed beam headlights? Plain, cheap Glass.

And they never burned out. Though I decided to get fancy and I
replaced them once with halogen, and those did burn out.