Old November 27th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default What terminology means a soft ride?

I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
terminology.

I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.

One article refered to base, touring, performance and R/T (or Super
Sport?) suspension.

And I thought that was the key, but the topic went to body roll. I'm
happy if I don't lose control on turns, but that seems unrelated to not
feeling the bumps and that is my goal.

So if those 4 words are not measures of level of soft ride, what do I
look for?

If I end up with harder ride than I like, can it be softened by
replacing the shocks? Do I have to do springs too? (I know about tire
sidewall height, and if the car has 17" wheels, I'll be unlikely to buy
it unless there is nothing else.)

For a short while I had a 2004 Sebring Convertible, and I felt every
bump, every speed bump and hump, like never before. I thought it would
ride like a Lebaron, because it's also "compact" and a convertible, but
it was terrible instead. Fortunately for me, the engine blew after 1
month, and I had to buy another car. Now my world is back to normal.
(I never drove a convertible to be sporty. I like the view and the
breeze on my face.)