Old December 21st 05, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Ford Explorer Sport 2001

proclaimed:

> I'm sure new tires will help. I would also suggest taking your
> Explorer out to an empty parking lot after it has snowed and tear it
> up. Practice starting, stopping and slidding. Driving rear wheel drive
> in the show is very different the front wheel drive. You need to get
> comfortable with the way the car will react in the snow. I grew up in
> upstate NY and learned to drive in the snow. I now live in VA where we
> get very little snow. Every year it amazes me the number of 4x4's I
> see stuck in the ditch. People seem to think that just because they
> have 4 wheel drive, they won't slip and slide.

Good advice. Once you get comfortable with basic slippery driving, try
a lot that may have chunks of hardened snow and/or ice in it and get
comfortable with how those affect your handling as you learn to either
hit or straddle them. And to stay in one piece, after you learn how to
use 4 wheel drive, practice with how little good it does when stopping.