Old December 15th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Ford Explorer Sport 2001

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> It has been a year since I bought my 2001 Explorer Sport SUV, I like
> it. Yet,... winter has arrived again and my fear of driving it on snow
> is back! I am supposed to feel safe in this vehicle but I don't, It
> slides side-ways so easily when barely touching the gas pedal on wet
> snowy roads. Swiching it on 4X4 helps but does not make me feel safe as
> I am told how SUV's should be.
> "It is the tires" as a friend of mine suggested. The tyres on it are
> Good Year Wrangler RT/S P255/70 R16. Has 100,000km (59,000MI) the
> treads are not in bad shape.
> I started experiencing terrifying moments when on 2 wheel drive, it
> would not hesitate to spin both rear tyres when I start accelerating,
> sliding the rear end to one side or the other. Thank God for his mercy
> that I escaped accidents on occations when this happen, but that sure
> made me lose all trust in Ford Explorers. These incidents started
> happening when I had just bought it (second hand) it had 70,000km ==>
> 41,000 miles on it.
> Any one can tell me if all Explorers are like that or something has to
> be looked after in my car?
> I live in Toronto, travel alot for buisness across Ontario, been in
> many winter snow storms. I am a safe driver with a clean record, had a
> Chevy Lumina (Front Wheel drive) before this Explorer, It was very
> stable. I used to laugh at other drivers getting in trouble during
> storms while I was smooth sailing on Icey roads.
> If the stability issues I am having are related to tires, any
> recommendations on type of Tyres? I was told to seek narrower tyres,
> would that be a good advise?
> I had this posted on Ford Explorer group, got some good feed back but
> no one with similar problem, and reposting it here trying to see if I
> find someone with similar model/experience and suggestions from people
> with experience.
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Pete

I have Michelin LTX M/S on four trucks. My next tires will be the same.

I'm not sure about the Wranglers but are they an "agressive" tread? I have
had poor performance with gnarly-looking tires on ice and snow. And they
are a real PITA to put chains on.

If you are slipping and sliding when starting out try putting it in second
gear instead of D.