Old December 13th 05, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Ford Explorer Sport 2001

wrote:

> It has been a year since I bought my 2001 Explorer Sport SUV, I like
> it. Yet,... winter has arrived again and my fear of driving it on snow
> is back! I am supposed to feel safe in this vehicle but I don't, It
> slides side-ways so easily when barely touching the gas pedal on wet
> snowy roads. Swiching it on 4X4 helps but does not make me feel safe as
> I am told how SUV's should be.
> "It is the tires" as a friend of mine suggested. The tyres on it are
> Good Year Wrangler RT/S P255/70 R16. Has 100,000km (59,000MI) the
> treads are not in bad shape.

Your friend is right. You need new tires. Now matter what the situation, proper
tire selection is the key to good traction. Your old tires were not that good to
begiun with. The tread is worn, and the rubber is hard.
I use Michelin LTX M/S on my truck. A vast improvement over the stock tires in
all situations. When the weather is really bad, this truck just drives away like it
was the middle of a spring day. In the summer they are quiet and smooth.
Spend the bux, get some good tires.

--
..boB
On Order: 2006 FXDI, Red.