Old December 18th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

Default '84 crossfire to carburator conversion

"Billy Ryman" > wrote in message
> Emmision controls have been around starting from 1968, Catalyst
> requirements 1974-75, so 1984 isn't exactly the beginning.
>
> Bypassing emmision controls? Might as well tear out the ECM, and all the
> wiring that goes with it. You can't cherry-pick with the ECM. You did plan
> on rewiring the car, didn't you? Your digital dash?... I guess you'll
> replace everything with analog gages, 'cause non of the electronics will
> work.
>
> Classifying it as a street rod maybe false thinking. IIRC that car must
> meet the emmission standards in effect at time of manufacture. Federal Law
> prohibits removing any type of emmision control device when it is operated
> on any public roadway, in any juristiction of the U.S. that receives
> Federal Highway Funds.
>
> 700R4: Electronic controls? yes and no. A little jewel call a VSS, wired
> to the cluster/ECM. You'll have to reverse engineer this system.
>
> And you better consider what you're going to do with the fuel
> pump/delivery system. That carb you spec'd WILL NOT handle the pressure
> from that electronic pump!
>
> Your $500 quote is laughable!

My thought is it is probably missing quite a few pieces that will eventually
become necessary.

> You'll spend that just to get the wares from JEGS. Then you'll spend at
> least another $2K in misc. parts and labor to get it to run.

The guy has had his heart set on this refit since he showed up. NO ONE,
including someone who has already done the exact conversion and strongly
advises against it, can talk this guy out of what is going to be a
time-consuming, expensive mistake.

Again, this person places no value whatsoever on his own time, he has a huge
misunderstanding of the complexity of this conversion, or he saved some poor
mechanic's life at some point and is getting the payback. Let him go, but
anyone who abets the effort shares the blame.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)