Old February 9th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

Default Bait Car

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 03:54:55 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On 2010-02-09, necromancer - ECHM > wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:17:52 -0700, richard > wrote:

>>>"It's my car I just left the paperwork at home."
>>>"It's my friend's car he asked me to move it for him."
>>>
>>>At least one guy saw the bait car as it was, opened the door, saw the keys
>>>and called the cops.

>> It got even better on, "Operation Repo," or whatever it was that
>> followed. The best part was some clown in a Spock suit (ears and all)
>> whose car was repoed because he spent the month's payment on VIP
>> tickets to some trek-head convention...

> "Operation Repo" is like "Dragnet", It's based on real stories. My
> guess is "Operation Repo" gets pretty creative... especially since they
> do stuff real repo men would lose their license over.

Exactly. It's purely for the show.
Note what they show on the screen, "reenactment".
IOW, every party is hired to play a part.

Most states now have very strict laws on repo orders.
Even in california. IIRC, california law says they can not simply walk onto
someone's property and take the vehicle. They either have to knock first,
explain why they are there or have the cops with them as well.

In Ohio, even 30 years ago, a repo man had to knock and explain and give
the owner time to remove any personal items.
Snatch and run would get the repo man busted.