Old June 14th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Default Life expectancy of timing belt idler and wheel bearings on '89Cressida?

Doc wrote:
> I've got the engine at the machine shop and am wondering about the
> timing belt idler/tensioner pulley. How long would you expect the
> factory pulley to last? The car has 130k on it. They want over $100
> for another, and it appears to be a dealer only item. No other place
> I've found carries it.
>
> Also, what about the wheel bearings?

The problem with most bearings is that they are good UNTIL they fail. In
this case I would add up what it takes to get to that pulley IF it fails
with the engine in the vehicle. If it is a pain to do then do it now. On
the wheel bearings are there signs/symptoms of them being bad? If you
rotate them and they feel smooth and have no play and the seals are OK
then don't bother. If however you turn them and it feels like your
grinding metal then replace them.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York