Old January 11th 12, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default How to balance FFB

Mario Petrinovic:
> Tony R:
>> FolkGT:
>>> I'm hesitant to make any
>>> changes from the default of 50%, because I'm concerned that 50% might
>>> mean "linear", which is desirable.

>> 50% is indeed linear, above this is exponential and below logarithmic.
>>
>> I seem to recall earlier profilers actually displayed the graph of how
>> the
>> controller profile was being mapped. Non linear can help with brake pedal
>> mappings (iRacing include this option in sim) linear seems pretty good
>> for
>> steering though. 100% is making it much more sensitive around the centre,
>> could be why it feels like it is removing any deadzone though.

> Hm, for linearity I use the word "linearity". For sensitivity I use
> the word "sensitivity".
> Well, if you ask me, this setting WORKS like "sensitivity".
> I mean, what's the point in using word "sensitivity" for linearity.
> "Sensitivity" is here with a reason, although it could be "linearity", it
> works, and is designed to be "sensitivity".
> IOW, maybe with your brake pedal the change of linearity is useful.
> Well, for FFB, I would say, use it as "sensitivity".
> Although, I doubt that it is "linearity" even for brake pedal.
> Because, whole time I used 50% for brake pedal. Well, now I changed to
> 100%, and pedal really became a bit more sensitive, but not at all
> non-linear. This goes for gas pedal, as well.
> On some place I've read that in Logitech profiler this doesn't have
> anything to do with linearity, but instead the posibility to change
> linearity is left for game developer to install it in the game. Which we
> really do have in iRacing, and really, changing the "sensitivity" of brake
> pedal in profiler, only changes sensitivity, not linearity, nothing like
> what happens with the setting in iRacing.

Well, I fiddled a bit. I would say that 50% of sensitivity is
definitely not sensitive enough. OTOH, I would also say that trying to
compensate not enough, or too much of sensitiviti with above 100%, or below
100% of Overall is not a way to go. I would say that the right way to go is
to find the right sensitivity, which doesn't have to be 100%. I'll see, I
have to test more of it.