Old January 3rd 14, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

On 1/3/2014 3:03 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Smarty wrote:
>>>
>>> ...your C7 has a key?

>> Similar to the C6 and C5, in having a fob used as a remote control as
>> well as a key. The only difference in the C7 is that the key is hidden
>> inside the fob, and can be extracted by a simple motion. In the older C6
>> and C5, the key was a separate item and was not designed to be stowed
>> inside the fob..
>>

> My '08 Z06 key stores inside the fob...hopefully I'll never have to
> use it. Though I have had the fob battery die on me once - now I keep
> a spare in the box.
>
> I haven't seen a C7 up close, but it sounds like they put the battery
> in the C7 in the same location as on my Z06 - right rear? Difference
> being that mine is in what was/is a storage compartment with a lid in
> an standards C6, and the hinged lid is still there and provides easy
> access to the battery. So how are you supposed to change the thing?
>
> But I should think that the ability to charge it would be similar to
> being able to do the same on my Z06 - check with a tech.

I confirmed that the trunk-mounted accessory outlet does indeed support
trickle charging, and the dealership's owner has a C7 apparently which
is being charged in this manner. Thus I do not have a need to remove any
carpeting or trim nor do I need to physically see the battery.

Should I have a dead battery and need a quick jump start, then the issue
of battery access will become a bit more difficult.

The C7 battery supposedly is in the rear passenger side area of the
trunk. My C6 convertible had a compartment there as well as one on the
left side. In the C7 convertible there is only one compartment, located
on the left. The area of trunk on the rear right where I was told the
battery is located has a flap of upholstered hardboard / cardboard which
supposedly can be lifted and temporarily moved to expose the battery.

I did not realize that the Z06 fob was different. Neither my C5 or C6
fobs can store the key, although I have seen / owned other fobs
(Porsche, Acura, Lexus) which use this internal design which now shows
up on the C7.