Old March 22nd 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

Default How would you store a mildly used electric fuel pump?

In article >,
Vic Smith > wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
> > wrote:
>
> >Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
> >electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
> >
> >Suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks.

> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
> Then bag it.
> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
> they'll fit my new car.
> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
> condenser.
> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
> it's made for.

WD-40 won't harm the pump, but in a few months it will be gummed up
quite well. It will then take a whole lot more WD-40 to free up all the
moving parts again. I would suggest spraying it with a good grade of
silicone oil. The silicone won't gum up, but will cost a bit more than
twice as much as a can of WD. Go with the silicone spray.

My $.02

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.