Old March 21st 13, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default How would you store a mildly used electric fuel pump?

On 03/21/2013 07:46 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:44:01 -0700 (PDT), muzician21
> > wrote:
>
>> Wondering what considerations there would be in storing a used
>> electric fuel pump that likely has a fair number of miles left in it.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Maybe coat it with a shot of WD-40 and wrap it in Saran wrap.
> Then bag it.
> I've got some fairly new parts coming off the car I'm junking because
> they'll fit my new car.
> Alternator, starter motor, coil packs, spark module, A/C compressor,
> condenser.
> Except for the condenser which I'll just plug, that's what I'm
> thinking of doing. Might be years before I use them.
> So I'm watching this to see other advice.
> I'll have to go buy WD-40. Don't like it, but I hear this is what
> it's made for.

probably not a bad idea, although I would have suggested Diesel fuel for
the small amount of wax in it after it evaporates. Old farmer trick.
Just don't get any on the electric motor portion, just the bits with
seals, exposed uncoated metal, etc. Petroleum based solvents can cause
the windings to swell (or so the story goes, and why take the chance?)
and I would assume that they could wipe out the lube in any
bushings/bearings on the motor shaft.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.