Old April 12th 12, 08:04 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Trevor Wilson[_2_]

Default Starter solenoid current?

On 11/3/2011 1:31 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > wrote:
>> "Bernd Felsche" wrote

>>> I'm trying to figure out the current draw by the starter solenoid,
>>> (not the starter motor) at terminal 50.
>>>
>>> It's powered through the ignition switch in the Golf GTI but the 4mm
>>> wiring has me baffled. That's too much current to go through a
>>> little ignition switch if the wire is sized for current capacity.
>>>
>>> So I assume it's sized to avoid voltage drop, which leaves me none
>>> the wiser regarding the current actually drawn by the starter
>>> solenoid.

>> Why not put an ammeter in series?

> Because it could fry the poor thing ...
> Most multimeters maxo ut at 10 Amps.
> I suspect that it could be 30A, if not more.
> Bosch book says 30 to 70A, depending on the size of the starter.

**This'll do the trick:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...for m=KEYWORD

You should be able to borrow one from your local sparky. Most have them
now, though DC rated ones are a little rarer. Auto electricians have
them. Or should.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au