Old April 29th 04, 09:24 AM
Ppelectron

>> Today, my 156 doesen't feel like other days: between 3500 and 5000 RPMs,
>the
>> engine is something like 'strangled', it has some hesitation in giving
>> power... finally, a momentary lapse of power. (Pink Floyd enthusiast will
>> understand me ;-)
>> Monday the light 'engine failure' came up, stayed turned on for the whole
>> day, then yesterday afternoon went out. For the whole time that the light
>> was on, the engine runned well. Took to a Bosh Service, and the engine
>> management computer said 'error in air/fuel mix'. The mechanic said that
>> wasn't so bad, in fact it wasn't a failure, but just a 'wrong

>carburation'.
>> But I think that this 'failure' is responsable of the loss of power of
>> today: maybe the spark plugs are dirty, due to a major percentage of fuel
>> during the 'failure'?
>>

>airmass meter MAF is common fault in V6 and symptons usually: hesitation
>around 5000rpm (loses power like rev limiter).
>
>Antti

The MAF fault on my 156 V6 caused a serious loss of power at 5000RPM (like a
rev limiter) but it did not improve as I put my foot down harder on the gas.
The only way to make the car go faster was to select a higher gear. The car
absolutely refused to do more than 5000RPM. The fault described by the original
poster sounds more like plugs or fuel IMHO.

Phil 156 V6 1998